Letter to Senator Gregg

  • pcvpcv
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3 2:05 PM
      Tell me what you need. Ask me several direct questions in your group.
      I am trying to figure out what is going on and how I can help.
      Would it be helpful to write other Senators or should the letter be
      sent to Senator Gregg?
      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <rpcv@...> wrote:

      > I'd be happy to take a stab at the first draft unless, of course,
      > someone else is dying to do it. :)
      >
      > Assuming that I'm going to write the letter, I need your input on
      > what we are asking for:
      >
      > Peace Corps to designate an individual to assist RPCVs with the
      > Office of Medical Services and OWCP?
      >
      > Dept. of Labor to designate someone to assist RPCVs with OWCP
      > problems?
      >
      > The Peace Corps OIG to investigate issues that RPCVs are having
      with
      > the Office of Medical Services and OWCP?
      >
      > The Labor OIG to investigate problems that RPCVS are having with
      OWCP

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5 1:36 PM
        Those are good questions.

        All members of the group, medical beneficiaries or not, could help by
        signing the letter.

        I'm not sure how we might, or even if we should, involve other
        senators. I'm leaning toward starting out with Senator Gregg; we could
        always try to get other senators on board later if we decided that
        would be helpful.

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "pcvpcv" <peacecorpscountry@...> wrote:

        Tell me what you need...
        I am trying to figure out ... how I can help.
        Would it be helpful to write other Senators or should the letter be
        sent to Senator Gregg?
      • Sue T
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5 8:29 PM
          I apologize for being remiss here - it looks like you
          asked this question a day or two ago. Life's been
          busy.

          That said, I don't think my issue is specific to the
          fact that my injury happened in Peace Corps. My issue
          is that OWCP is woefully unresponsive to my needs. My
          issue is one I'm sure is shared with all fed employees
          injured on the job.

          If I had a genie in a bottle who could only grant me
          one wish specific to my health, I'd ask the genie to
          give me a doctor within 100 miles of my house so when
          I have my next operation I can get transportation for
          follow up and not be so far from my doctor when I need
          medical attention in general.

          Each claim examiner I've had has made it abundantly
          clear they "do not maintain a database of medical
          providers, all you have to do, Miss Trone, is go to
          your yellow pages, look up board certified orthopaedic
          surgeons, and get an appointment." I've spent nearly
          50 hours, scouring my county and adjacent counties and
          not a single doctor will have anything to do with me
          b/c I'm OWCP. They will not bill ACS b/c it's a pain
          in the ass.

          That pisses me off.

          I can't imagine what a single mother who works for the
          feds does in a similar situation. I can't imagine
          what someone who took Lariam does, either -- to be
          sure, that has some very PC-specific points. As for
          me, I think OWCP needs to be given some scrutiny.

          I get the feeling that I'm the only one in this forum
          whose gripe is general.

          ST

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6 5:24 AM
            Sue,

            I'm sure you're right. I don't think OWCP treats RPCVs worse than it
            does its other claimants. I'm sure we're a challenge for OWCP,
            however, given the special legislation under which we recieve
            benefits and the fact that many of our accepted conditions fall
            outside what the agency generally deals with. I do hope that, if we
            are in any way successful in getting OWCP to be more responsive, our
            efforts will benefit non-RPCVs too.

            Thanks for bringing up the issue of being able to find doctors who
            are willing to deal with OWCP. I'll try to work that into the next
            draft of the letter to Senator Gregg. Neither my acupuncturist nor
            her orthopedic surgeon husband will deal directly with OWCP because
            he's been burned by the agency in the past.

            As far as signing the letter, I am planning to be the only one who
            actually physically signs it (for the sake of expediency). For
            everyone else who wants to be a "signatory" I will put their name,
            location (city, state), and email address following my signature. If
            Senator Gregg balks, I can always provide his office with email
            evidence that everyone whose name appears on the letter did in fact
            consent to being included. If he decides he wants/needs a signature
            from everyone, we can figure out an easy way to comply via snail mail.

            I'd like to get the letter out soon, but I also want to wait for more
            comments. The draft hasn't even been posted for 24 hours. If I
            can't get the letter out by the end of the week, it will have to wait
            until the last week of the month.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 9:39 AM
              I think that it is important to stress in the letter that
              part of the problem (as you said below) is that our
              conditions are often outside what the agency generally
              deals with. That makes the frequent turn over of claims
              examiners and lack of support from the Peace Corps side
              more difficult for us. -- Felicia

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6 10:03 AM
                OWCP rotates claims examiners periodically. It's part of the way the
                agency chooses to operate! And it's another reason why continuity of
                care is so poor.