Senator Norm Coleman - follow up

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 9:26 AM
      I called Senator Coleman's office this morning and left a voice mail
      for Ana Navarro. I asked her about the outcome of her meeting with
      Peace Corps re. our issues. I will update you when I hear back from
      her.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6 10:12 AM

        Here's the latest from Ana Navarro of Senator Coleman's office:

        Hi Kevin,

        Very sorry I have been unable to speak with you, things were very hectic
        right before the recess and now I am back in the state for meetings and
        have sporadic access to computers. I did speak to the Peace Corps about
        your issue, although I think they misunderstood the actual inquiry. The
        explanation I received for some of the seeming obstacles is the call by
        Congress to ensure that the dollars allocated by taxpayers are being
        spent appropriately by the Peace Corps, which means that they have put
        extra oversight mechanisms in place to ensure that the claims on which
        they are making payments are legitimate. For this reasons, RPCVs are
        likely to be asked on a regular basis for the paperwork from doctors
        proving that their health issues/treatment truly fall under the
        responsibility of the Peace Corps. They also mentioned that with regards
        to your case the hold-ups were in the Department of Labor where workers
        compensation is handled. But my sense was that you were looking for a
        more macro level answer of how to improve the system so that caseworkers
        from all over the country can share their experiences and therefore
        improve the efficiency of the overall system - is that correct? If so, I
        can go back to them and speak with them about it. I will try and give
        you a call later, it may not be until Thursday though as I am in back to
        back meetings the next few days starting in a few minutes.

        I would also suggest that you reach out to Senator Dodd's office, as
        they are currently looking at legislation on Peace Corps - specifically
        to address some of the inefficiencies from the perspective of
        volunteers. If this is a systemic issue that could be at least partially
        addressed through legislation, it would be worth contacting them about
        it.

        If you could just let me know what specific questions/request/suggestions you have for the Peace Corps (in terms ofsharing information, etc), I will make sure to get a more focused answerfrom them.  Thanks Kevin!

        Best,
        Ana

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28 6:16 AM
          I have received no feedback on how I should respond to Senator
          Coleman's office. If you've got an opinion on the matter, now is the
          time to speak up.

          Since Senator Coleman is working on the Peace Corps side of the
          equation, I'm inclined to ask for a PC Ombudsman as we are doing in
          the letter to Senator Gregg: I.e, ask Peace Corps to appoint a
          person to act as an ombudsman or advocate for Returned Peace Corps
          Volunteers who encounter problems in obtaining the post-service
          medical care to which they are legally entitled.

          Any objections? Any further suggestions? Thanks!

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28 1:57 PM

            Yes, ombudsman is a good idea.

          • Christine Link
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29 4:17 AM
              I think ccìng the letter to current Congressmen and Senators who are RPCV`s would help us garner support. It is amazing to me the amount of vetting they put each of us through after the approval process is over. A medical physician is caring for us after all, not someone off the street. The very process of getting care under their system exacerbates many (if not all) of our conditions. Too bad this kind of attention to detail for each and every dollar wasn`t (and isn`t) being spent on other departments in the government. Peace Corps`budget is miniscule compared to the rest of what the government spends. I would love to be asked to give my personal case history to a Senator--that I lived on a $100 a month, got sick and repeatedly asked for my PCMO`s help to do more tests and was told there was nothing more to do (when there was), and now I get to live with a degenerative autoimmune disease for the rest of my life. So the OIG wants to know if PC is spending it`s money appropriately? I don`t think that`s the basis of our inquiry, but rather is Peace Corps treating its volunteers appropriately. The answer to that is an obvious no.
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30 10:58 AM
                Thank you for bringing this up. I would like to see the Gregg letter
                and other letters that we may write in the hands of many Senators and
                Representatives. However, rather than cc'ing our letters, I think
                we'd have more impact if constituents provided a copy of the letters
                to their own Senators and Representatives.

                In the case of the Gregg letter, this is what I'm asking our members
                to consider doing:

                Prepare a cover letter to the Senator or Congressman of their choice.
                The cover letter can (and probably should) be brief. It need only
                contain a reference to the Gregg letter and a request of some sort
                (e.g., please coordinate with Senator Gregg's office, add your voice
                to calling for a GAO inquiry, ask Peace Corps for an ombdusman). Be
                to sign the cover letter, include a complete address (so it's clear
                the request is coming from a constituent), and attach a copy of the
                Gregg letter.

                Thanks again!