Re: [owcp] Digest Number 127

  • Sue T
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007
      OK - lots of folks suffering from after effects of
      Lariam. This problem definitely shines out. Please,
      keep the momentum rolling. I will try to parse out
      different people's stories here this week.

      A couple items to take up with the group:

      1. Though communication with two congressmen has been
      discussed here, I think it would be useful if someone
      were officially the "spokesperson" for our group. I
      mean, if the problem with us having a single voice is
      decentralization, it seems to me that the first order
      of mobilization would be to see if somoene here will
      be the official person to liaise between us and
      congress. I don't want to volunteer anyone so if you
      are interested please let me know. As moderator I
      would assume some responsibility to organize a
      database (my forte) to hand over to someone to
      approach the congress people who are already online
      and interested in the Lariam issue (not my forte right
      now).

      2. It occurs to me some people who might
      need/want/appreciate some advocacy might not be
      sufferers of Lariam toxicity (such as myself). To be
      sure, I don't want to dilute the Lariam issue and I
      think it is a worthy cause. As I understand the
      issue, the Lariam issue is such a hot potato
      particularly for PCVs b/c of two facts: 1) There is
      not a lot of independent info/after market study which
      illustrates the long-lasting effects of Lariam; 2)
      PCVs are administered the drug more than any other
      group of people. If I'm wrong, let me know. I
      definitely want to keep the momentum of this Lariam
      issue growing and, as moderator, I'll try to find a
      way to nurture this thing (perhaps a Lariam blog
      associated with this forum per Jay's suggestion????);
      however, I don't want this to just be a Lariam group.
      I was stabbed and have had myriad problems in my
      readjustment. Like many other PCVs, my situation is a
      freak thing, but the kind of advocacy we need is a bit
      different from the Lariam issue I believe b/c PC has
      NEVER disputed my rightful claim to benefits and my
      claim was adjudicated immediately. My problem is with
      the OWCP system b/c no doctor near me will bill ACS
      and I ahve to drive 7 hours to Tallahassee FL to see a
      doctor. Etc etc etc. So, again - could folks here
      who have non-Lariam issues please speak up? I want
      your stories too. If you don't speak up this forum
      will be of little service to you. We are all (for teh
      most part) former Peace Corps volunteers, or at least
      former federal employees, who need resolution or
      general moral support getting through the quagmire of
      our government agency in which we were injured and the
      Wonderful Wild World of OWCP. It may be possible to
      create a blog for this larger, miscellaneous group
      (but I won't call it miscellaneous, I'll call it
      something else).

      3. If we get a nice number of ACTIVELY PARTICIPATING
      members in this forum, I would like to have a letter
      writing campaign. We need to find our critical mass,
      develop a cohesive message and move forward our
      cause(s). Send your stories. I'll organize the
      stories for group consumption when Ig et more time --
      it's been a busy two months for me with a new job and
      all.

      I hope you are all well as can be. Hopefully this
      group can be a source of some comfort where you can
      find someone to at the very least commisserate with
      you in your dark hour. I don't know how I made it
      through my low point without a sympathetic group like
      this~

      Be well,
      Sue Trone
      Peace Corps Georgia 2005

      --- owcp@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      OWCP OWCP
      Messages In This Digest (2
      Messages)

      1a.
      Re: Revival of thei OWCP forum: Please send
      your stories~ From: Kevin

      1b.
      Re: Revival of thei OWCP forum: Please send
      your stories~ From: FourDirect@...

      View All Topics | Create New Topic

      Messages
      1a.
      Re: Revival of thei OWCP forum:
      Please send your stories~ Posted by:
      "Kevin" rpcv@...
      owcp2004
      Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:58 am (PST)
      The following links to a discussion started by
      our own Nancy, and may
      be a good addition to our 'database' of stories:

      http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/messages/2629/2015148.html

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Sue"
      <sallie_ali_sue@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > if you are so inclined and have the time to do so
      could you please
      > provide your story describing your injury/illness,
      it's relation to
      > your PC service (or service to the federal
      government [I know not
      > everyone here is necessariy PCV]), and the quality
      of your care.
      This
      > request is in response to information sent by Nancy
      Tongue
      regarding
      > Senator Schumer's interest in our case. The more
      stories we have
      the
      > more compelling a case we make. Please speak up!
      Just send your
      story
      > as a reply to this email.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Sue Trone
      > Peace Corps Georgia 2005

      Back to top
      Reply to sender
      | Reply to group
      Messages in this topic
      (7)

      1b.
      Re: Revival of thei OWCP forum:
      Please send your stories~ Posted by:
      "FourDirect@..." FourDirect@...
      Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:56 am
      (PST) Kevin,

      Oh, you are a great researcher. I guess that with
      having had so many
      relapses, inbetween which I keep trying to put my life
      together, my struggle has
      been intermittent. I'm so pleased that you found this
      site once again and I
      think it is a great place in which we can add our
      stories. Once we have some
      strong ones we can gather them and I'll present them
      to Senator Schumer.
      Secretly, I wish I had know to approach Michael Moore
      last year.

      For someone who was trying to eliminate "extra"
      activities, you certainly
      have been active with us and I am most appreciative!

      Please everyone, do go to the link that Kevin just
      posted and I may try to
      write back to many who used to participate in this
      group.

      Best,
      Nancy T.

      ************************************** Get a sneak
      peak of the all-new AOL at

      Back to top
      Reply to sender
      | Reply to group
      Messages in this topic
      (7)

      Recent
      Activity

      1
      New Members

      2
      New Files

      Visit Your Group

      Returned peace corps volunteer
      Peace corps

      Travel Deals

      Yahoo! FareChase

      Searches sites so

      you don't have to

      Yahoo! News

      Kevin Sites

      Get coverage of

      world crises.

      Yahoo! TV

      Love TV?

      Listings, picks

      news and gossip.

      Need to Reply?

      Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a
      specific message in the Daily Digest.

      Create New Topic | Visit
      Your Group on the Web
      Messages | Links
      | Database | Polls

      Change settings via email: Switch delivery to
      Individual | Switch format to Traditional
      Visit Your Group | Yahoo!
      Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe