Petition Director of Peace Corps for Ombudsman?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007
      Out of curiosity, I googled Lariam. I found a variety of interesting
      and informative sites including Lariam Action USA
      (http://lariaminfo.org), which I'm sure some of our members are
      familiar with. That led me to the Care2 Petition Site
      (http://www.thepetitionsite.com) to view the "Ban the Use of Lariam on
      US Troops" petition. That, in turn, got me thinking about petitioning
      Peace Corps Director Ronald A. Tschetter in an attempt to persuade him
      to create an Ombudsman position akin to the one that the former Peace
      Corps Director opposed.

      What do you think? A good idea or not?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007
        The lariaminfo.org site is the maintainer of the Lariam
        support email list that many of us are on. As far as I
        know, they stopped giving Lariam to US troops because the
        suicide incidence was so high. It would be fantastic if
        we could get the Peace Corps to stop using Lariam.
        However, really if they just did better screening and
        followed the instructions for prescribing the medication
        the number of serious cases would be greatly reduced.
        Right in the instructions, it says that at the first signs
        of high anxiety the patient should be taken off the
        medication. Not only did they not do that, but they also
        didn't warn us in advance about what could happen and
        later lied to us as we were signing the liability wavers.
        I griped about anxiety and panic attacks for months and
        months before I was finally taken off of Lariam. --
        Felicia

        > Out of curiosity, I googled Lariam. I found a variety of
        > interesting
        > and informative sites including Lariam Action USA
        > (http://lariaminfo.org), which I'm sure some of our
        > members are
        > familiar with. That led me to the Care2 Petition Site
        > (http://www.thepetitionsite.com) to view the "Ban the Use
        > of Lariam on
        > US Troops" petition. That, in turn, got me thinking about
        > petitioning
        > Peace Corps Director Ronald A. Tschetter in an attempt to
        > persuade him
        > to create an Ombudsman position akin to the one that the
        > former Peace
        > Corps Director opposed.
        >
        > What do you think? A good idea or not?

      • Christine Link
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007
          Has anyone heard anything about Larium and if there is any connection to severe GI problems? I had severe GI problems in PC until I was switched to Doxycycline (of course, not due to any complication because of Larium). But I was just wondering. The difference between before Larium and after the Larium switch was the difference between night and day for me.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007
            That's wild! I had to go off of Doxy and back onto Lariam
            because Doxy caused severe stomache pain for me. Lariam
            generally results in liver damage, so that could be
            related. -- Felicia