GAO Report: Long-Needed Improvements to [Peace Corps] Volunteers' Health Care

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
      The GAO has a search facility at http://www.gao.gov That might be
      the best place to start.

      I found the following abstract there:

      Report Abstract

      Peace Corps: Long-Needed Improvements to Volunteers' Health Care
      System NSIAD-91-213 July 3, 1991

      Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO reviewed the Peace Corps'
      health care system for its volunteers, focusing on whether: (1)
      volunteers received a level of health care comparable to what they
      would have received in the United States; and (2) former volunteers
      with service-related medical conditions were aware of and receiving
      their health care entitlement.

      GAO found that: (1) 73 percent of former volunteers surveyed were
      satisfied with the quality of health care that Peace Corps medical
      officers provided; (2) the Peace Corps' health care system did not
      ensure that volunteers received approximately the same level of care
      available in the United States; (3) the Peace Corps did not follow
      its selection policy for hiring medical officers, provide adequate
      in-house training, or provide sufficient procedures for monitoring
      their activities; (4) due to inadequate guidelines and controls,
      some medical officers contracted by the Peace Corps were not
      qualified to provide the level of health care required by the
      specific conditions of a country, were unfamiliar with or untrained
      in Peace Corps diagnostic and treatment procedures, and provided
      care that was beyond their competence or that violated Peace Corps
      guidelines; (5) the Peace Corps did not subject its health care
      system to a medical review by an independent accrediting
      organization; (6) although former Peace Corps volunteers are
      entitled to Federal Employees Compensation Act (FECA) benefits for
      service-related health problems, and the Peace Corps described such
      benefits in its volunteer manual, many former volunteers were not
      aware of their benefit entitlements; (7) the Peace Corps
      inadequately assisted former volunteers in filing their FECA claims;
      and (8) the Peace Corps took such corrective actions to improve its
      health care system as improving the FECA system, providing medical
      officer orientation funds, planning an independent medical review,
      conducting annual training conferences, instituting an improved
      monitoring form to emphasize quality-of-care issues, procedures, and
      developing a informational benefits video.

      [source: http://www.gao.gov/docdblite/summary.php?rptno=NSIAD-91-
      213&accno=144319 ]

      I think that's the report to which Nancy was referring.
      Incidentally the entire report is also available at
      http://archive.gao.gov/d20t9/144319.pdf Maybe we should put a copy
      of it in our files section. Would you like to do that, or should I?

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Sue T <sallie_ali_sue@...> wrote:
      > ... I'd like to get a copy of the Inouye report. I might
      > spare you the trouble of copying and mailing it - can
      > you give me searchable details that I might google or
      > look for in my library or -- heh heh -- write the the
      > HI rep for a copy of?
      >
      > Sue
    • Sue T
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
        Well, it's got Inouye's name right there up at the
        top. I'll post it to the group right a way. Thanks,
        Kevin!

        ST

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
          I think it may be time for GAO to conduct a follow up study, a
          comprehensive one that investigates in depth both Peace Corps and
          OWCP. More than 15 years has elapsed since the last one, and I doubt
          services to former Volunteers have improved.

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@... wrote:
          Do you know of the huge GAO report conducted by Sen. Inouye of Hawaii
          in the later 1980's or early 1990's that found Peace Corps at fault
          for not helping volunteers navigate the OWCP system and for the
          failures of OWCP to attend to the needs of RPCVs?