Revival of thei OWCP forum: Please send your stories~

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13 6:05 AM
      All,

      if you are so inclined and have the time to do so could you please
      provide your story describing your injury/illness, it's relation to
      your PC service (or service to the federal government [I know not
      everyone here is necessariy PCV]), and the quality of your care. This
      request is in response to information sent by Nancy Tongue regarding
      Senator Schumer's interest in our case. The more stories we have the
      more compelling a case we make. Please speak up! Just send your story
      as a reply to this email.

      Kind regards,

      Sue Trone
      Peace Corps Georgia 2005
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13 10:13 AM
        I've passed this request on to the Lariam group, since
        there are many former Peace Corps volunteers there. I'll
        send my story along shortly. -- Felicia

        > All,
        >
        > if you are so inclined and have the time to do so could
        > you please
        > provide your story describing your injury/illness, it's
        > relation to
        > your PC service (or service to the federal government [I
        > know not
        > everyone here is necessariy PCV]), and the quality of your
        > care. This
        > request is in response to information sent by Nancy Tongue
        > regarding
        > Senator Schumer's interest in our case. The more stories
        > we have the
        > more compelling a case we make. Please speak up! Just
        > send your story
        > as a reply to this email.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Sue Trone
        > Peace Corps Georgia 2005
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dgkonecny
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13 1:14 PM
          My name is Dallas Konecny and I am an Air Force civilian at Hill Air
          Force Base, Utah. My story starts on February 5, 2004. I injured my
          left shoulder in a bad fall. I had two surgeries on the shoulder each
          followed by PT. I was on and off light duty for over two years. After
          the surgeries, even following all doctor's orders and goung through
          PT, my shoulder just kept getting worde. During this time I was a
          C-130 aircraft mechanic which is a very hard job even in good health.
          But I liked my job and I liked knowing that even though I wasn't
          sacrificing myself for our freedom and security as so many brave men
          and women do, I was supporting them with the aircraft they need. I
          tried so hard to keep working on the planes. I finally got
          disqualified in early 2006 and they found me a new job just 1 week
          before I would go out on disability. Because of all the problems and
          leave from work, my leave soon was gone and was on Leave without pay.
          This sent me and my young family, a wonderful wife, 2 year old girl,
          one on the way, into severe financial hardship. I have submitted 71
          hours of the 256 hours that I am trying to "buy back" 1 1/2 YEARS
          AGO!! OWCP is still dragging their feet and pulling all their usual
          stuff. All the leave I accrue now all goes to doctors appointments,
          etc. So even though I have a great job with "great benefits" I have no
          leave for a family vacation or anything, not even just a day off. If
          it has taken this long for the 71 hours and they are still not
          reimbursed I will never see the rest of it. I also have been trying to
          get an impairment rating for the purpose of a schedule award in hopes
          of restoring some financial security to my family. I have called
          doctor after doctor in Utah and cannot find one to do the evaluation.
          I contacted OWCP many many times to get a referral with no response. I
          sent a letter to my Senator, Orrin Hatch. His representative was very
          helpful in getting an inquiry letter to OWCP regarding the Leave Buy
          Back and the Schedule Award. The only reason the Leave issue has gone
          any where was because of this letter. On the Award issue they just
          sent a response back using wording to make it seem as though they did
          their part, typical.
          I know many others in our organization at Hill that are going
          through the same problems as well as many others in this group. It is
          really good to hear that Senator Schumer is taking interest in this
          case. I really, really think it is about time something is done about
          all the problems we all face. I am glad I found this group, but I was
          deeply sadened to learn that the wonderful men and women of the Peace
          Corps and other services, after all they do for people all around the
          world, are not taken care of by there own country. You all do such
          great work, keep it up and God Bless. I work very hard for the Air
          Force and the United States government and then OWCP has left me and
          my family sruggling to survive. If they worked even 25% as hard for us
          as we do for them something would probably get done. It is time for
          change!!! Thank you all.

          Dallas Konecny
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13 4:41 PM
            This is a great idea, Sue. Having several case histories on hand
            will be useful if Senator Coleman's staff comes back for more
            details, too.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14 12:42 PM
              I am passing this on from another volunteer ("Nathan
              Hedges" <nathanthedges@...>). Since this is a
              problem more with the Peace Corps than with the OWCP, I
              don't know if it is helpful, but I thought I'd pass it on.
              For your information, the FDA and Roche (the makers of
              Lariam) warn that no one with a history of depression
              should be given the drug because of the severe
              psychological reactions to it.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15 3:57 AM
                The following links to a discussion started by our own Nancy, and may
                be a good addition to our 'database' of stories:

                http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/messages/2629/2015148.html

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15 10:55 AM

                  Oh, you are a great researcher. I guess that with having had so many relapses, inbetween which I keep trying to put my life together, my struggle has been intermittent. I'm so pleased that you found this site once again and I think it is a great place in which we can add our stories. Once we have some strong ones we can gather them and I'll present them to Senator Schumer. Secretly, I wish I had know to approach Michael Moore last year.

                  For someone who was trying to eliminate "extra" activities, you certainly have been active with us and I am most appreciative!

                  Please everyone, do go to the link that Kevin just posted and I may try to write back to many who used to participate in this group.

                  Best,
                  Nancy T.

                  Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.