Re: [owcp] Re: Senator Norm Coleman (R), Senior Senator of Minnesota -- a fol...

  • Sue T
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
      My gawd! I had no idea about this kind of stuff --
      you and Felicia make my medical issue sound like a
      walk in the park! I've not had problems getting
      coverage; I've just had problems finding *good*
      coverage (meaning convenient/easy/reasonable). This
      is horrible.

      I'd like to get a copy of the Inouye report. I might
      spare you the trouble of copying and mailing it - can
      you give me searchable details that I might google or
      look for in my library or -- heh heh -- write the the
      HI rep for a copy of?

      Sue

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
        The GAO has a search facility at http://www.gao.gov That might be
        the best place to start.

        I found the following abstract there:

        Report Abstract

        Peace Corps: Long-Needed Improvements to Volunteers' Health Care
        System NSIAD-91-213 July 3, 1991

        Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO reviewed the Peace Corps'
        health care system for its volunteers, focusing on whether: (1)
        volunteers received a level of health care comparable to what they
        would have received in the United States; and (2) former volunteers
        with service-related medical conditions were aware of and receiving
        their health care entitlement.

        GAO found that: (1) 73 percent of former volunteers surveyed were
        satisfied with the quality of health care that Peace Corps medical
        officers provided; (2) the Peace Corps' health care system did not
        ensure that volunteers received approximately the same level of care
        available in the United States; (3) the Peace Corps did not follow
        its selection policy for hiring medical officers, provide adequate
        in-house training, or provide sufficient procedures for monitoring
        their activities; (4) due to inadequate guidelines and controls,
        some medical officers contracted by the Peace Corps were not
        qualified to provide the level of health care required by the
        specific conditions of a country, were unfamiliar with or untrained
        in Peace Corps diagnostic and treatment procedures, and provided
        care that was beyond their competence or that violated Peace Corps
        guidelines; (5) the Peace Corps did not subject its health care
        system to a medical review by an independent accrediting
        organization; (6) although former Peace Corps volunteers are
        entitled to Federal Employees Compensation Act (FECA) benefits for
        service-related health problems, and the Peace Corps described such
        benefits in its volunteer manual, many former volunteers were not
        aware of their benefit entitlements; (7) the Peace Corps
        inadequately assisted former volunteers in filing their FECA claims;
        and (8) the Peace Corps took such corrective actions to improve its
        health care system as improving the FECA system, providing medical
        officer orientation funds, planning an independent medical review,
        conducting annual training conferences, instituting an improved
        monitoring form to emphasize quality-of-care issues, procedures, and
        developing a informational benefits video.

        [source: http://www.gao.gov/docdblite/summary.php?rptno=NSIAD-91-
        213&accno=144319 ]

        I think that's the report to which Nancy was referring.
        Incidentally the entire report is also available at
        http://archive.gao.gov/d20t9/144319.pdf Maybe we should put a copy
        of it in our files section. Would you like to do that, or should I?

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Sue T <sallie_ali_sue@...> wrote:
        > ... I'd like to get a copy of the Inouye report. I might
        > spare you the trouble of copying and mailing it - can
        > you give me searchable details that I might google or
        > look for in my library or -- heh heh -- write the the
        > HI rep for a copy of?
        >
        > Sue
      • Sue T
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
          Well, it's got Inouye's name right there up at the
          top. I'll post it to the group right a way. Thanks,
          Kevin!

          ST

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
            I think it may be time for GAO to conduct a follow up study, a
            comprehensive one that investigates in depth both Peace Corps and
            OWCP. More than 15 years has elapsed since the last one, and I doubt
            services to former Volunteers have improved.