Re: [owcp] Re: Senator Norm Coleman (R), Senior Senator of Minnesota -- a fol...

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2007

      Oh, I am so very impressed at the quick response. Senator Schumer's office last fall said that they would like some stories and numbers and then they would decide what they would do regarding possible investigations. In the meantime they submit bills that I can't get paid. Do you know of the huge GAO report conducted by Sen. Inouye of Hawaii in the later 1980's or early 1990's that found Peace Corps at fault for not helping volunteers navigate the OWCP system and for the failures of OWCP to attend to the needs of RPCVs? I have a hard copy and can photocopy it for anyone who would like copies. I had a spurt of being active in these issues back then before I more or less gave up and simply tried to "live."

      Also, I went through quite a lot this past winter with being investigated in-depth by the Criminal Investigator hired by the Peace Corps. It was a very invasive process in relation to the OIM program. I felt that it verged on true harassment of me and my mother. Evidently, in the end they found my claim "acceptable" as I have not heard more and my claim is continuing as are my benefits, but they flew the investigator out to AZ where I lived for a while to interrogate an acquaintance and doctors. The stress of it all and all that I had to provide in my own defense was all very upsetting and set my health back.

      Were any others "investigated" to this degree?

      Best,
      Nancy Tongue

      Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.
    • Sue T
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
        My gawd! I had no idea about this kind of stuff --
        you and Felicia make my medical issue sound like a
        walk in the park! I've not had problems getting
        coverage; I've just had problems finding *good*
        coverage (meaning convenient/easy/reasonable). This
        is horrible.

        I'd like to get a copy of the Inouye report. I might
        spare you the trouble of copying and mailing it - can
        you give me searchable details that I might google or
        look for in my library or -- heh heh -- write the the
        HI rep for a copy of?

        Sue

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
          The GAO has a search facility at http://www.gao.gov That might be
          the best place to start.

          I found the following abstract there:

          Report Abstract

          Peace Corps: Long-Needed Improvements to Volunteers' Health Care
          System NSIAD-91-213 July 3, 1991

          Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO reviewed the Peace Corps'
          health care system for its volunteers, focusing on whether: (1)
          volunteers received a level of health care comparable to what they
          would have received in the United States; and (2) former volunteers
          with service-related medical conditions were aware of and receiving
          their health care entitlement.

          GAO found that: (1) 73 percent of former volunteers surveyed were
          satisfied with the quality of health care that Peace Corps medical
          officers provided; (2) the Peace Corps' health care system did not
          ensure that volunteers received approximately the same level of care
          available in the United States; (3) the Peace Corps did not follow
          its selection policy for hiring medical officers, provide adequate
          in-house training, or provide sufficient procedures for monitoring
          their activities; (4) due to inadequate guidelines and controls,
          some medical officers contracted by the Peace Corps were not
          qualified to provide the level of health care required by the
          specific conditions of a country, were unfamiliar with or untrained
          in Peace Corps diagnostic and treatment procedures, and provided
          care that was beyond their competence or that violated Peace Corps
          guidelines; (5) the Peace Corps did not subject its health care
          system to a medical review by an independent accrediting
          organization; (6) although former Peace Corps volunteers are
          entitled to Federal Employees Compensation Act (FECA) benefits for
          service-related health problems, and the Peace Corps described such
          benefits in its volunteer manual, many former volunteers were not
          aware of their benefit entitlements; (7) the Peace Corps
          inadequately assisted former volunteers in filing their FECA claims;
          and (8) the Peace Corps took such corrective actions to improve its
          health care system as improving the FECA system, providing medical
          officer orientation funds, planning an independent medical review,
          conducting annual training conferences, instituting an improved
          monitoring form to emphasize quality-of-care issues, procedures, and
          developing a informational benefits video.

          [source: http://www.gao.gov/docdblite/summary.php?rptno=NSIAD-91-
          213&accno=144319 ]

          I think that's the report to which Nancy was referring.
          Incidentally the entire report is also available at
          http://archive.gao.gov/d20t9/144319.pdf Maybe we should put a copy
          of it in our files section. Would you like to do that, or should I?

          Kevin

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Sue T <sallie_ali_sue@...> wrote:
          > ... I'd like to get a copy of the Inouye report. I might
          > spare you the trouble of copying and mailing it - can
          > you give me searchable details that I might google or
          > look for in my library or -- heh heh -- write the the
          > HI rep for a copy of?
          >
          > Sue
        • Sue T
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
            Well, it's got Inouye's name right there up at the
            top. I'll post it to the group right a way. Thanks,
            Kevin!

            ST

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
              I think it may be time for GAO to conduct a follow up study, a
              comprehensive one that investigates in depth both Peace Corps and
              OWCP. More than 15 years has elapsed since the last one, and I doubt
              services to former Volunteers have improved.