Re: Re. Critical Mass

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
      Felicia,

      Please remind me:

      1. Did you have symptoms during your PC service? If so, do you have
      substantially similar symptoms now or a documented progression of those
      symptoms?

      2. Do you receive or have you received any medical or disability
      benefits from OWCP?

      Thanks.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
        > 1. Did you have symptoms during your PC service?

        Yes, I was eventually medically separated because of this
        problem.

        > If so,
        > do you have
        > substantially similar symptoms now or a documented
        > progression of those
        > symptoms?

        Yes. Lariam toxicity typically is cyclical, though, so I
        go through phases.

        > 2. Do you receive or have you received any medical or
        > disability
        > benefits from OWCP?

        Yes, I receive both time loss payments and
        medical/psychiatric coverage from OWCP. This, I believe,
        is because I made a huge stink when I was in DC before my
        medical separation. I was so emotionally unstable that I
        knew (and I was right) that there was no way that I'd be
        able to work. I told them that I'd end up homeless if
        they sent me away in that condition. The Peace Corps said
        that my illness was because of my service, although the
        psychologist in DC never mentioned Lariam. Here we are
        three years later and my psychologist tells me not to even
        think about work, as it will be years before I will have
        recovered enough. Although in the last few months, I have
        found that my ability to think is coming back, which gives
        me hope that recovery is possible.

        My problem with the OWCP is mainly small things, like
        billing issues, combined with the larger problem of the
        Peace Corps not talking about the damage that Lariam does.
        It is an uphill battle to get anyone to take my condition
        seriously, but I am far luckier than most Lariam victims.
        Most cannot get any disability, have much more severe
        psychological and health problems, and are still trying to
        work. -- Felicia
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007

          I'm willing to provide my story. Is anyone else? Did the Senator's
          staff give you any idea of the numbers that would be required to move
          ahead with an investigation?

          Kevin

          > --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@ wrote:
          Senator Schumer's office last fall said that they would like some
          stories and numbers and then they would decide what they would do
          regarding possible investigations.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007

            Hi Felicia,

            Thank you for putting up with my questions.  I know most of what I asked was redundant; I was just too lazy to read through several old messages to find the answers.

            The reasons I asked what I did, particularly those questions in item 1, was to get a feel for when and how the adverse effects of Lariam arise.

            In my opinion, you and other persons in your situation should not be asked by Peace Corps or OWCP to "prove" that Lariam was the underlying cause of your condition.  It's irrelevant.  As the OIG noted in his report, the [FECA] regulations provide for a presumption that any injury sustained by a Volunteer while he or she is located abroad has been sustained in the performance of duty, and any illness contracted by aVolunteer during Peace Corps service is proximately caused by the employment.

            Early on, I too was asked to prove that my condition (asthma) was caused by some environmental factor in Yemen.  OWCP quickly backed off when my Congressman at the time called them on it.  I don't know if claims examiners are so poorly trained that they don't know the special regulations for former Volunteers, or if trying to saddle the claimant with the burden of proof is just a tactic to get people to withdraw their claims.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007
              You are correct. I often point this out to volunteers who
              are trying to get medical coverage, as they often fixate
              on Lariam. My problem isn't that I don't get coverage,
              but that the Peace Corps is the largest user in the world
              of this medication and they deny that it causes problems.
              Most doctors just want to say that I have depression or
              that I'm neurotic and lazy. If the Peace Corps were to
              say "Yes, Lariam can cause long term problems" then I'd
              have better luck getting doctors to look harder at my
              problems. Luckily, my psychologist is convinced that
              Lariam has caused this weird collection of cognitive,
              emotional, vision and balance problems that I have. Does
              that make sense? Please feel free to ask more questions.