Re: [owcp] Re. Critical Mass

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
      In a message dated 7/11/2007 1:41:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rpcv@... writes:
      Sue,

      You mentioned that your caseworker said point blank that until there is
      a critical mass
      nothing will change. The problem is how to reach that critical mass.
      Since there is no centralized place (or person) that we can go to for
      assistance, it's extremely difficult to even approach critical mass.
      With 12 OWCP District Offices, 100 Senators, and 435 Representatives,
      how much more decentralized could the system be? As you may know, the
      former Peace Corps Director nixed the idea of an ombudsman to assist us.
      I wonder if the new Director, Ron Tschetter, would be amenable to
      resurrecting the idea. Maybe we should ask?

      Kevin
      Senator Schumer's office (US Senate (D) NY), which submits my medical claims, is also willing to investigate this issue but needs critical mass, as well. And I had a contact at NBC a while back who wished to do a feature on this but needed a number of people willing to come forward. That's when I began to want to get this group going and Kevin came forward with his willingness to do so. I don't believe anymore that Peace Corps will really ever become accountable to us unless they are somehow "shamed" into doing so, so to speak. I really wonder how many of there actually are and how we can go about bringing our concerns to the correct body to create positive change?

      I know that speaking for myself I have a tendency to just try to get my own health and life together when I am in crisis and then when that passes I just want to leave all this behind me and move my life forward. It is hard to find the right time in my own life to actually go forward in the correct manner and speak out. I am on some kind of road to health stabilization and am changing my career to accommodate my illnesses so maybe once I accomplish that I won't be so reticent to really move forward and consider going to press.

      Nancy Tongue

      Ideas?

      Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007

        This is promising news. Do you know, or can you find out, what
        Senator Schumer would need to proceed? I wouldn't expect his office
        to do casework for former Volunteers across the country, but what
        would be possible? Advocate for us as a group? Push for
        Congressional hearings? Call for a GAO study of OWCP and/or PCMO?

        I, for one, would be willing to provide his office anything I could
        if he were willing to run with it.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
          If we are looking for volunteers who have been badly
          treated by the Peace Corps, the Lariam toxicity group that
          I'm on has tons. While they add numbers, though, they
          take away credibility. Since next to none of us can prove
          that Lariam caused our condition (although at least there
          are studies out there now that prove that it causes the
          brain damage that all of us suffer from), we look more
          often like a bunch of cranks. Of course, the Peace Corps
          doesn't help with that, since they are the first ones to
          call us liars. -- Felicia

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
            Felicia,

            Please remind me:

            1. Did you have symptoms during your PC service? If so, do you have
            substantially similar symptoms now or a documented progression of those
            symptoms?

            2. Do you receive or have you received any medical or disability
            benefits from OWCP?

            Thanks.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
              > 1. Did you have symptoms during your PC service?

              Yes, I was eventually medically separated because of this
              problem.

              > If so,
              > do you have
              > substantially similar symptoms now or a documented
              > progression of those
              > symptoms?

              Yes. Lariam toxicity typically is cyclical, though, so I
              go through phases.

              > 2. Do you receive or have you received any medical or
              > disability
              > benefits from OWCP?

              Yes, I receive both time loss payments and
              medical/psychiatric coverage from OWCP. This, I believe,
              is because I made a huge stink when I was in DC before my
              medical separation. I was so emotionally unstable that I
              knew (and I was right) that there was no way that I'd be
              able to work. I told them that I'd end up homeless if
              they sent me away in that condition. The Peace Corps said
              that my illness was because of my service, although the
              psychologist in DC never mentioned Lariam. Here we are
              three years later and my psychologist tells me not to even
              think about work, as it will be years before I will have
              recovered enough. Although in the last few months, I have
              found that my ability to think is coming back, which gives
              me hope that recovery is possible.

              My problem with the OWCP is mainly small things, like
              billing issues, combined with the larger problem of the
              Peace Corps not talking about the damage that Lariam does.
              It is an uphill battle to get anyone to take my condition
              seriously, but I am far luckier than most Lariam victims.
              Most cannot get any disability, have much more severe
              psychological and health problems, and are still trying to
              work. -- Felicia
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007

                I'm willing to provide my story. Is anyone else? Did the Senator's
                staff give you any idea of the numbers that would be required to move
                ahead with an investigation?

                Kevin

                > --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@ wrote:
                Senator Schumer's office last fall said that they would like some
                stories and numbers and then they would decide what they would do
                regarding possible investigations.
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007

                  Hi Felicia,

                  Thank you for putting up with my questions.  I know most of what I asked was redundant; I was just too lazy to read through several old messages to find the answers.

                  The reasons I asked what I did, particularly those questions in item 1, was to get a feel for when and how the adverse effects of Lariam arise.

                  In my opinion, you and other persons in your situation should not be asked by Peace Corps or OWCP to "prove" that Lariam was the underlying cause of your condition.  It's irrelevant.  As the OIG noted in his report, the [FECA] regulations provide for a presumption that any injury sustained by a Volunteer while he or she is located abroad has been sustained in the performance of duty, and any illness contracted by aVolunteer during Peace Corps service is proximately caused by the employment.

                  Early on, I too was asked to prove that my condition (asthma) was caused by some environmental factor in Yemen.  OWCP quickly backed off when my Congressman at the time called them on it.  I don't know if claims examiners are so poorly trained that they don't know the special regulations for former Volunteers, or if trying to saddle the claimant with the burden of proof is just a tactic to get people to withdraw their claims.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007
                    You are correct. I often point this out to volunteers who
                    are trying to get medical coverage, as they often fixate
                    on Lariam. My problem isn't that I don't get coverage,
                    but that the Peace Corps is the largest user in the world
                    of this medication and they deny that it causes problems.
                    Most doctors just want to say that I have depression or
                    that I'm neurotic and lazy. If the Peace Corps were to
                    say "Yes, Lariam can cause long term problems" then I'd
                    have better luck getting doctors to look harder at my
                    problems. Luckily, my psychologist is convinced that
                    Lariam has caused this weird collection of cognitive,
                    emotional, vision and balance problems that I have. Does
                    that make sense? Please feel free to ask more questions.