New Moderator: Sue

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
      "For the time being, I would simply like to take over
      this group as moderator ..."

      Your wish has been granted. :) Congratulations, and thank you for
      stepping forward. We all appreciate it.

      ______________

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
        Peace Corps, especially its OIG, has a vested (and legitimate)
        interest in properly and efficiently paying for workers' compensation
        claims. Peace Corps also has a vested interest, not to mention a
        legal responsibility, to make sure that those of us who are eligible
        for workers' compensation benefits receive those benefits.

        I am concerned that the former may take precedence over the latter.
        It's unfortunate that Peace Corps refuses to advocate for those of us
        who suffer at the hands of OWCP. Peace Corps is the client agency
        and could have a powerful influence over OWCP if it chose to.
        Unfortunately, to date, they have shown absolutely no interest in
        doing so.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
          Sue,

          You mentioned that your caseworker said point blank that until there is
          a critical mass
          nothing will change. The problem is how to reach that critical mass.
          Since there is no centralized place (or person) that we can go to for
          assistance, it's extremely difficult to even approach critical mass.
          With 12 OWCP District Offices, 100 Senators, and 435 Representatives,
          how much more decentralized could the system be? As you may know, the
          former Peace Corps Director nixed the idea of an ombudsman to assist us.
          I wonder if the new Director, Ron Tschetter, would be amenable to
          resurrecting the idea. Maybe we should ask?

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
            I'll still be around. I just need to step aside, for the most part,
            and let others take a stab at running the Group.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
              I forgot to mention the one sentence in the OIG report that really
              caught my eye:

              "Within a relatively short period after the OIG mailings, more than
              500 FECA recipients voluntarily dropped off the rolls, which resulted
              in a savings of approximately $500,000."

              I have to wonder how many of those individuals were scofflaws and how
              many gave up because they were intimidated by the OIG!

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
                Also, if your condition isn't one that the Peace Corps
                wants to talk about (like the long term side effects of
                taking Lariam), then they do a good job of preventing
                injured volunteers from getting compensation. -- Felicia

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 11, 2007
                  In a message dated 7/11/2007 1:41:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rpcv@... writes:
                  Sue,

                  You mentioned that your caseworker said point blank that until there is
                  a critical mass
                  nothing will change. The problem is how to reach that critical mass.
                  Since there is no centralized place (or person) that we can go to for
                  assistance, it's extremely difficult to even approach critical mass.
                  With 12 OWCP District Offices, 100 Senators, and 435 Representatives,
                  how much more decentralized could the system be? As you may know, the
                  former Peace Corps Director nixed the idea of an ombudsman to assist us.
                  I wonder if the new Director, Ron Tschetter, would be amenable to
                  resurrecting the idea. Maybe we should ask?

                  Kevin
                  Senator Schumer's office (US Senate (D) NY), which submits my medical claims, is also willing to investigate this issue but needs critical mass, as well. And I had a contact at NBC a while back who wished to do a feature on this but needed a number of people willing to come forward. That's when I began to want to get this group going and Kevin came forward with his willingness to do so. I don't believe anymore that Peace Corps will really ever become accountable to us unless they are somehow "shamed" into doing so, so to speak. I really wonder how many of there actually are and how we can go about bringing our concerns to the correct body to create positive change?

                  I know that speaking for myself I have a tendency to just try to get my own health and life together when I am in crisis and then when that passes I just want to leave all this behind me and move my life forward. It is hard to find the right time in my own life to actually go forward in the correct manner and speak out. I am on some kind of road to health stabilization and am changing my career to accommodate my illnesses so maybe once I accomplish that I won't be so reticent to really move forward and consider going to press.

                  Nancy Tongue

                  Ideas?

                  Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007

                    This is promising news. Do you know, or can you find out, what
                    Senator Schumer would need to proceed? I wouldn't expect his office
                    to do casework for former Volunteers across the country, but what
                    would be possible? Advocate for us as a group? Push for
                    Congressional hearings? Call for a GAO study of OWCP and/or PCMO?

                    I, for one, would be willing to provide his office anything I could
                    if he were willing to run with it.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
                      If we are looking for volunteers who have been badly
                      treated by the Peace Corps, the Lariam toxicity group that
                      I'm on has tons. While they add numbers, though, they
                      take away credibility. Since next to none of us can prove
                      that Lariam caused our condition (although at least there
                      are studies out there now that prove that it causes the
                      brain damage that all of us suffer from), we look more
                      often like a bunch of cranks. Of course, the Peace Corps
                      doesn't help with that, since they are the first ones to
                      call us liars. -- Felicia

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
                        Felicia,

                        Please remind me:

                        1. Did you have symptoms during your PC service? If so, do you have
                        substantially similar symptoms now or a documented progression of those
                        symptoms?

                        2. Do you receive or have you received any medical or disability
                        benefits from OWCP?

                        Thanks.

                        Kevin

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
                          > 1. Did you have symptoms during your PC service?

                          Yes, I was eventually medically separated because of this
                          problem.

                          > If so,
                          > do you have
                          > substantially similar symptoms now or a documented
                          > progression of those
                          > symptoms?

                          Yes. Lariam toxicity typically is cyclical, though, so I
                          go through phases.

                          > 2. Do you receive or have you received any medical or
                          > disability
                          > benefits from OWCP?

                          Yes, I receive both time loss payments and
                          medical/psychiatric coverage from OWCP. This, I believe,
                          is because I made a huge stink when I was in DC before my
                          medical separation. I was so emotionally unstable that I
                          knew (and I was right) that there was no way that I'd be
                          able to work. I told them that I'd end up homeless if
                          they sent me away in that condition. The Peace Corps said
                          that my illness was because of my service, although the
                          psychologist in DC never mentioned Lariam. Here we are
                          three years later and my psychologist tells me not to even
                          think about work, as it will be years before I will have
                          recovered enough. Although in the last few months, I have
                          found that my ability to think is coming back, which gives
                          me hope that recovery is possible.

                          My problem with the OWCP is mainly small things, like
                          billing issues, combined with the larger problem of the
                          Peace Corps not talking about the damage that Lariam does.
                          It is an uphill battle to get anyone to take my condition
                          seriously, but I am far luckier than most Lariam victims.
                          Most cannot get any disability, have much more severe
                          psychological and health problems, and are still trying to
                          work. -- Felicia
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007

                            I'm willing to provide my story. Is anyone else? Did the Senator's
                            staff give you any idea of the numbers that would be required to move
                            ahead with an investigation?

                            Kevin

                            > --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@ wrote:
                            Senator Schumer's office last fall said that they would like some
                            stories and numbers and then they would decide what they would do
                            regarding possible investigations.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007

                              Hi Felicia,

                              Thank you for putting up with my questions.  I know most of what I asked was redundant; I was just too lazy to read through several old messages to find the answers.

                              The reasons I asked what I did, particularly those questions in item 1, was to get a feel for when and how the adverse effects of Lariam arise.

                              In my opinion, you and other persons in your situation should not be asked by Peace Corps or OWCP to "prove" that Lariam was the underlying cause of your condition.  It's irrelevant.  As the OIG noted in his report, the [FECA] regulations provide for a presumption that any injury sustained by a Volunteer while he or she is located abroad has been sustained in the performance of duty, and any illness contracted by aVolunteer during Peace Corps service is proximately caused by the employment.

                              Early on, I too was asked to prove that my condition (asthma) was caused by some environmental factor in Yemen.  OWCP quickly backed off when my Congressman at the time called them on it.  I don't know if claims examiners are so poorly trained that they don't know the special regulations for former Volunteers, or if trying to saddle the claimant with the burden of proof is just a tactic to get people to withdraw their claims.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007
                                You are correct. I often point this out to volunteers who
                                are trying to get medical coverage, as they often fixate
                                on Lariam. My problem isn't that I don't get coverage,
                                but that the Peace Corps is the largest user in the world
                                of this medication and they deny that it causes problems.
                                Most doctors just want to say that I have depression or
                                that I'm neurotic and lazy. If the Peace Corps were to
                                say "Yes, Lariam can cause long term problems" then I'd
                                have better luck getting doctors to look harder at my
                                problems. Luckily, my psychologist is convinced that
                                Lariam has caused this weird collection of cognitive,
                                emotional, vision and balance problems that I have. Does
                                that make sense? Please feel free to ask more questions.