Re: [owcp] Re: letter

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
      We're considering just major medical, but getting sick and
      seeing the doctor, seeing the GYN, and dealing with other
      regular problems aren't covered, which will mean I will
      have to pay a lot out of pocket. What I need is major
      medical plus GYN coverage. As for SSD, if I start looking
      like I'll ever recover, then I probably won't go for it.
      However, it has been 2 years and I'm still completely
      unable to work. *shrug* I've written a letter to the
      OWCP asking about the insurance issue. Perhaps they'll
      have something useful to say. -- Felicia

    • Kaericsson@cs.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
        In Minnesota, the only insurance that someone who has developed a mental disorder(such as I have) can get is through the MN Comprehensive Health Program, which is now administered through Medica. It is the most pricey insurance in Minnesota, though a little less so if you don't inhale tobacco.

        In my case OWCP covers all my psychiatric services (office visits, hospitalization, meds and lab work) and Medica does co-pay on the rest (annual physicals, etc -- anything not directly related to my Peace Corps disability.) Medica might also do co-pay on the Peace Corps disability, but OWCP is comprehensive there, it just is cumbersome and works like a bear.

        Anyway, in the end OWCP has always come through. I have been in the OWCP system for 18 years -- you just have to hang in there and "don't panic."
        What can you do, all health insurance agencies often goof up.

        I know that not everyone "has it so good." Other states have different insurance systems.

        Good luck.

        Kriste