Re: [owcp] Re: letter

  • Heidi Fassnacht
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
      when i've been between things, i've applied for short
      term major medical. i was told if i applied for any
      kind of regular insurance, i would only be accepted
      with riders, which would basically black list me for
      the future. usually you can get short term stuff that
      can be renewed a couple times. i doesn't covered
      regular stuff (probably whatever expenses you have
      assoc with your PC injury/illness) but would cover you
      in the event of a big accident.

      i tried applying for SSD not too long after i returned
      home. the process is long and i was told that pretty
      much everyone is denied first time round. so it
      likely depends on how much time you have to deal with
      this.

      heidi

      > Speaking of insurance, what do people on this list
      > do for
      > insurance? My husband is going to be changing jobs
      > and
      > will be losing his benefits. Should I apply for SSD
      > or
      > something? -- Felicia

      "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
        We're considering just major medical, but getting sick and
        seeing the doctor, seeing the GYN, and dealing with other
        regular problems aren't covered, which will mean I will
        have to pay a lot out of pocket. What I need is major
        medical plus GYN coverage. As for SSD, if I start looking
        like I'll ever recover, then I probably won't go for it.
        However, it has been 2 years and I'm still completely
        unable to work. *shrug* I've written a letter to the
        OWCP asking about the insurance issue. Perhaps they'll
        have something useful to say. -- Felicia

      • Kaericsson@cs.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
          In Minnesota, the only insurance that someone who has developed a mental disorder(such as I have) can get is through the MN Comprehensive Health Program, which is now administered through Medica. It is the most pricey insurance in Minnesota, though a little less so if you don't inhale tobacco.

          In my case OWCP covers all my psychiatric services (office visits, hospitalization, meds and lab work) and Medica does co-pay on the rest (annual physicals, etc -- anything not directly related to my Peace Corps disability.) Medica might also do co-pay on the Peace Corps disability, but OWCP is comprehensive there, it just is cumbersome and works like a bear.

          Anyway, in the end OWCP has always come through. I have been in the OWCP system for 18 years -- you just have to hang in there and "don't panic."
          What can you do, all health insurance agencies often goof up.

          I know that not everyone "has it so good." Other states have different insurance systems.

          Good luck.

          Kriste