Re: [owcp] Re: insurance and retirement

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 20, 2006
      How long did it take before you were considered at a
      medical end point? I have some kind of brain damage,
      which is not treatable, although they could give me
      medication to mitigate the anxiety, etc. I've been this
      way for two years. I was told that eventually they would
      try to settle out of court with some kind of lump sum, if
      it looked like I was never going to get any better.
      Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had gone through
      anything like that. (Oh, and my husband's suggestion was
      to get a lawyer.) -- Felicia

    • krcorwin@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 20, 2006

        I got to that point (medical end point ) after about ten years when they granted me what’s called a “scheduled award”, which means they have a table in the Civil Code that values each and every disability with a percent of total and you get so many weeks compensation for each percent. In my case it was fairly straight forward because they have a long established standard for the loss of an extremety. This is the way we finally get paid off, but even after that I have qualified for compensation for lost work (at my PC rate) if one of the conditions which was incurred during my PC service caused me to be Temporarily Totally Disabled. My DOI was 10/28/71 and I’ve received treatment every year, prosthetic devices, and compensation for lost work when it became necessary to due further surgery as late as 1999. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts I have been fortunate in that the line of treatment has been so well documented that there has never been any question about the cause of the injury. While they have yet to refuse me they have played some irritating games of passive-aggressive and more than one medical vendor has passed on my case because of the time it takes for them to get paid.

        How long did it take before you were considered at a
        medical end point? I have some kind of brain damage,
        which is not treatable, although they could give me
        medication to mitigate the anxiety, etc. I've been this
        way for two years. I was told that eventually they would
        try to settle out of court with some kind of lump sum, if
        it looked like I was never going to get any better.
        Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had gone through
        anything like that. (Oh, and my husband's suggestion was
        to get a lawyer.) -- Felicia

        >> > I got one of these lovely letters as well; figured it
        >> was
        >> > pro forma red tape
        >> > and rat race.
        >> >
        >> > Then, yesterday, a large confusing packet arrived
        >> > including medical
        >> > re-evaluation forms and reporting of all income over
        >> the
        >> > past 15 months. As
        >> > I am considered to be at 'medical end point' (a lovely
        >> > phrase in itself), I
        >> > have no doctors following my case.
        >> >
        >> > This past spring, my compensation was cut by a third,
        >> > because I am released
        >> > for part time work (with fairly limiting restrictions,
        >> > including 15 minute
        >> > breaks for every hour worked). That there are no jobs
        >> in
        >> > my area that fit
        >> > both my restrictions and my qualifications, that I
        >> have
        >> > applied for a number
        >> > of jobs without success, that the pay rate that they
        >> are
        >> > calculating the
        >> > reduction on is not the compensation offered in this
        >> area
        >> > - none of that
        >> > seems to matter. The "job counselor" provided by the
        >> OWCP
        >> > was from another
        >> > state, met with me a total of five times, never
        >> offered
        >> > any sort of job
        >> > training or performed even basic skills assessments.
        >> >
        >> > The whole is immensely disheartening and depressing.
        >> As I
        >> > pointed out in a
        >> > letter to the OWCP, when I left my job for Peace Corps
        >> > service six years ago
        >> > (I served three years in
        w:st="on">Armenia ) I had medical
        >> insurance,
        >> > a pension plan,
        >> > and a higher rate of take home pay than my current
        >> > compensation. Now I have
        >> > no insurance, no pension plan, and I miss the Federal
        >> > Poverty Standard by
        >> > $3,016.
        >> >
        >> > Disability is not my career choice; this is not the
        >> life I
        >> > wanted nor the
        >> > one I would choose.
        >> >
        >> > Meg Wallace, RPCV (
        w:st="on">Armenia , 2000- 2003)

        >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Heidi Fassnacht
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
          when i've been between things, i've applied for short
          term major medical. i was told if i applied for any
          kind of regular insurance, i would only be accepted
          with riders, which would basically black list me for
          the future. usually you can get short term stuff that
          can be renewed a couple times. i doesn't covered
          regular stuff (probably whatever expenses you have
          assoc with your PC injury/illness) but would cover you
          in the event of a big accident.

          i tried applying for SSD not too long after i returned
          home. the process is long and i was told that pretty
          much everyone is denied first time round. so it
          likely depends on how much time you have to deal with
          this.

          heidi

          > Speaking of insurance, what do people on this list
          > do for
          > insurance? My husband is going to be changing jobs
          > and
          > will be losing his benefits. Should I apply for SSD
          > or
          > something? -- Felicia

          "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
            We're considering just major medical, but getting sick and
            seeing the doctor, seeing the GYN, and dealing with other
            regular problems aren't covered, which will mean I will
            have to pay a lot out of pocket. What I need is major
            medical plus GYN coverage. As for SSD, if I start looking
            like I'll ever recover, then I probably won't go for it.
            However, it has been 2 years and I'm still completely
            unable to work. *shrug* I've written a letter to the
            OWCP asking about the insurance issue. Perhaps they'll
            have something useful to say. -- Felicia

          • Kaericsson@cs.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 21, 2006
              In Minnesota, the only insurance that someone who has developed a mental disorder(such as I have) can get is through the MN Comprehensive Health Program, which is now administered through Medica. It is the most pricey insurance in Minnesota, though a little less so if you don't inhale tobacco.

              In my case OWCP covers all my psychiatric services (office visits, hospitalization, meds and lab work) and Medica does co-pay on the rest (annual physicals, etc -- anything not directly related to my Peace Corps disability.) Medica might also do co-pay on the Peace Corps disability, but OWCP is comprehensive there, it just is cumbersome and works like a bear.

              Anyway, in the end OWCP has always come through. I have been in the OWCP system for 18 years -- you just have to hang in there and "don't panic."
              What can you do, all health insurance agencies often goof up.

              I know that not everyone "has it so good." Other states have different insurance systems.

              Good luck.

              Kriste