Re: [owcp] Letter to Senator Mark Dayton and more

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      Thanks! I agree that psychological problems are more or
      less all brain damage. In my case, it definitely falls
      more into the "blow to the head" category, as my
      psychologist often describes my symptoms as being those of
      people who have had serious head trauma. As far as trying
      to hide, be normal or otherwise cope, I don't have to
      worry about the job side of things and may never have to
      again. When I was doing well a couple months back, I was
      able to volunteer four hours a week without my symptoms
      getting out of hand, but recently if I do nothing but go
      to the laundromat in a week, it is still too much. I
      think this is why it isn't uncommon for Lariam sufferers
      to kill themselves (not that I'm considering that). We
      have gone way beyond trying to act normal - most of us are
      struggling to make it through the day. What annoys me
      (and others) is that the Physicans Desk Reference clearly
      states that this can happen, and the Peace Corps
      vigorously denies it (and keeps prescribing Lariam). With
      some luck, though, a CAT scan will be able to find which
      part of my brain has been damaged and then my doctor may
      be able to help me work around those damaged areas. Some
      people recover from this. Some suffer with it for the
      rest of their lives. I have only been sick for two years,
      so it may turn out that three years down the road I'll be
      better and able to go back to work. Or I may spend the
      rest of my life weighing each action I take to see if it
      is too stressful (ie can I pick up this sock? can I go to
      the store?). FYI, I've been diagnosed with an organic
      panic disorder (organic meaning that it was caused by
      something outside of me).

      I appreciate your prayers and your supportive words. For
      as dire as my situation sounds, I'm able to make it
      through each day still happy to be me, in part thanks to
      the kindness and strength of others. -- Felicia
    • Heidi Fassnacht
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2006
        Felicia,

        My prayers are with you too. You sound like an
        incredibly strong person. Good for you for being able
        to keep your head up and to find happiness among the
        thorns.

        Heidi

        "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

        http://mail.yahoo.com