An unusual experience...

  • Kurt Corwin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      I've had an experience recently that has amazed me and may offer us the key to answer some of our difficulties.

      As the result of an accident I had in PC India-109 in October of 1971 I have chronic and progresive orthopedic injuries that since 2001 have required that I use a wheelchair to get around and have required surgery as recently as 1999. Through this entire 35 year nightmare I have struggled endlessly against the powers that be in what is now OWCP, but that's only it's current iteration. I did get some temporary relief in the late 1970's after writing Lillian Carter, the then Presidents mother who I'd met in India where she was also a volunteer.

      Anyway with that much history I have to comment on my most recent interface with the OWCP. The wheelchair that the OWCP had purchased for me in 2001 after nearly a year of hassles, during which I was confined to a studio apartment, wore out and needed replacement a few months ago. As it hadn't quite been yet five years since they'd bought the first one I was really anticipating a hassle getting a replacement. The company through which I got the first chair and the company which I had gotten the repairs done on the first chair wouldn't even go through the process to try and get another one with me. I did however catch one of the million or so commercials on daytime TV (like I said I'm confined when my chair is out of action) for the ScooterStore.com that specializes in getting Medicare funding. I called them and without any communication on my part they got the requisite approvals and delivered my new chair in just under two weeks from the time that I called them.

      I'm certain that there are very few of you who need wheelchairs but evidently this company has come up with a methodology for dealing with OWCP and training for their sales staff that gets the results we all want for our other medical vendors. I'm just throwing this out there, I have no idea how to find out what they have figured out, but somebody knows and there must be a way to get a line on their sales training syllabus.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
        That is interesting. The only other info I have is that
        the one time my case worker was taking months to get back
        to me, the nurse assigned to me was able to call the case
        worker's supervisor. I don't know how one does this, but
        apparently it is possible. Also, last time I spoke to my
        newest case worker, he said that they use a third party
        billing handler, ACS. It is possible for providers to
        send in a request for "prior authorization", which makes
        billing for things like CAT scans easier. I also know
        that there is a website that a doctor can use to become a
        provider with ACS. Hope all this random info helps
        someone. -- Felicia