An unusual experience...

  • Kurt Corwin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 10:26 PM
      Hi all,

      I've had an experience recently that has amazed me and may offer us the key to answer some of our difficulties.

      As the result of an accident I had in PC India-109 in October of 1971 I have chronic and progresive orthopedic injuries that since 2001 have required that I use a wheelchair to get around and have required surgery as recently as 1999. Through this entire 35 year nightmare I have struggled endlessly against the powers that be in what is now OWCP, but that's only it's current iteration. I did get some temporary relief in the late 1970's after writing Lillian Carter, the then Presidents mother who I'd met in India where she was also a volunteer.

      Anyway with that much history I have to comment on my most recent interface with the OWCP. The wheelchair that the OWCP had purchased for me in 2001 after nearly a year of hassles, during which I was confined to a studio apartment, wore out and needed replacement a few months ago. As it hadn't quite been yet five years since they'd bought the first one I was really anticipating a hassle getting a replacement. The company through which I got the first chair and the company which I had gotten the repairs done on the first chair wouldn't even go through the process to try and get another one with me. I did however catch one of the million or so commercials on daytime TV (like I said I'm confined when my chair is out of action) for the ScooterStore.com that specializes in getting Medicare funding. I called them and without any communication on my part they got the requisite approvals and delivered my new chair in just under two weeks from the time that I called them.

      I'm certain that there are very few of you who need wheelchairs but evidently this company has come up with a methodology for dealing with OWCP and training for their sales staff that gets the results we all want for our other medical vendors. I'm just throwing this out there, I have no idea how to find out what they have figured out, but somebody knows and there must be a way to get a line on their sales training syllabus.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4 8:53 AM
        That is interesting. The only other info I have is that
        the one time my case worker was taking months to get back
        to me, the nurse assigned to me was able to call the case
        worker's supervisor. I don't know how one does this, but
        apparently it is possible. Also, last time I spoke to my
        newest case worker, he said that they use a third party
        billing handler, ACS. It is possible for providers to
        send in a request for "prior authorization", which makes
        billing for things like CAT scans easier. I also know
        that there is a website that a doctor can use to become a
        provider with ACS. Hope all this random info helps
        someone. -- Felicia