Re: [owcp] One recent positive experience...

  • Donald Weaks
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
      I was recently denied coverage for a genetic disease, hemochromatosis, a rare iron overload blood disorder. Dr. Hammer reported to the DOL that I had failed to report this condition to the PC when I applied for service. The fact is I'd never heard of hemochtroatosis before I found out that I had it. What's the deal with PC not supporting the claims by former volunteers? Do you know of anyone who have denied coverage for the same disorder? I was under the impression that Congress passed a law that prohibited discrimination against genetic disorders, i.e sickle cell anemia.

      FourDirect@... wrote:

      What a horrid ordeal you've been through. I very much appreciate you sharing your story with us. I've met quite a few brick walls in the past month with OWCP/ACS/USDOL so knowing of your small success is helpful but your pain and suffering have been great.

      I still feel that next summer when I have more time, I'd like to take some of our stories public, as in to the press. I know it's hard to think about when there are small successes because that's when I don't want to rock the boat. But I'm tossing this out to others out there again for a goal for the summer.

      Best to you for the holidays, Kurt.
      Nancy Tongue
      Chile '80-82

      Subj:[owcp] One recent positive experience...
      Date:12/4/2005 1:10:40 PM Eastern Standard Time
      Sent from the Internet

      Hi Group, I haven't heard from anyone lately but I hope all are well.

      I have to report a recent very positive experience that may be helpful to some of you.
      I am a veteran of India-109 in 1970-1971 and had severe permanent orthopedic injuries that made it difficult to walk even after two and a half years of regular surgical modifications and an on going femoral infection (pseudomonas). Prosthetic shoes at $1,000 to $2,000 per pair have been necessary since I got off the crutches in 1974, surgical intervention has been necassary every decade or two and since I've gotten into my 50's a wheelchair has become necessary.  As you might imagine getting these agencies to honor their obligations to meet my ongoing needs has been a nightmare.  I have found, since OWCP, who had an office two blocks from my apartment in downtown San Francisco, turned things over to the current payors I've had a terrible time getting any action from them. My first experience with the wheelchair was in 2000 when it was first prescribed. It took 8 months to get it approved and four months to get it delivered.  Not long ago that device wore out and it came time to get another one. The company that I had originally ordered from had gone out of business and the company that had been handling my maintenance and repair needs wouldn't even attempt to help me, saying that I should buy the chair from them and then bill the agency, something I'm not fiscally able to do. I did find a company who seems to have done the necessary training of their sales staff and was able to get approval in less than two weeks and deliver a week after that. That company is ScooterStore.com and they are claiming that they will also do necessary repairs and bill directly.  They actually carry a full range of motorized wheelchairs from a number of different manufacturers.
      Along these lines I've also been seeing an Orthopedic surgeon here in San Francisco who is very good at billing in a way that he actually gets paid and apparently relatively promptly.  I'm still struggling with my prosthedtic makers relationship with these guys, but I've put his office staff in touch with the wheelchair people hoping that they will be willing to share their technique and/or strategy for dealing.
      Kurt Corwin

      HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Vist our website at www.aedtogo.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

      Yahoo! Personals