GAO and Peace Corps

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
      Everyone,

      I had a very unsettling occurrence today and wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar. I live in a NY apt building with a security intercom video system at the door. My bell rang with no phone call ahead of time. It was teaming rain, cold and the middle of the day and I was about to head out. The guy introduced himself by first name only (I didn't catch it) and told me he was with the Peace Corps and part of a GAO report. (Remember, I was doing this via intercom). He wasn't anyone I knew and the whole approach was just plain weird. He asked me how I was (I still wasn't understanding who he was) and asked if he could come up. Naturally, I told him "no" and that I had no idea who he was and that it was highly unusual to ring someone's door (in NY) announced.

      He left after standing in front of the camera for a few minutes drenched. Anyway, I've felt very violated by it all and nearly wondered if he planned to watch me from afar or something to ensure that I was "sick" or some such thing. It was all most unnerving and very unappreciated.

      I assume that this is part of the follow up from that certified letter we all received a while back? I would suggest that Peace Corps not look to us for fraud but rather to the USDOL and ACS for that.

      Anyone else have this happen? Now I'm just back to being furious again.

      Best,
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
        Haven't had anything like that happen. Of course, you
        were right not to let him in. You might want to contact
        the Peace Corps, just to make sure he was actually
        attached to them. -- Felicia