Re: [owcp] health insurance

  • Doug Hemken
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
      OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
      status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

      The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
      your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
      making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
      income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
      compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
      are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
      pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

      Douglas Hemken
      Statistical Consultant
      Social Science Micro Lab
      3218 Social Science Bldg.

      dehemken@...
      262-0862

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
        In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

        << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
        Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
        From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
        To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

        The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
        Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
        include:
        Slow turnaround
        Unclear communications
        Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
        Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
        wide variety of questions.

        Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

        Alana Petersen
        Congressman James L. Oberstar
        38625 14th Avenue
        Suite 300B
        North Branch, MN 55056
        (651) 277-1234 office
        (651) 308-0346 cell
        (651)277-1235 fax
        alanapetersen@...
        www.house.gov/oberstar

        Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
        contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
        putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
          > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
          > concerns of former
          > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
          > the issues would
          > include:
          > Slow turnaround
          > Unclear communications
          > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
          > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
          > not able to answer a
          > wide variety of questions.
          >
          > Are there other general issues you would suggest
          > addressing?

          Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
          questions, but often times they change your claims
          examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
          times in the last six months. -- Felicia