Re: [owcp] health insurance

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
      I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
      if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
      is probably good to let them know about your income. I
      think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
      Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
      several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
      difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

      > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
      Peace
      > Corps sent me a
      > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
      Dept
      > of Labor OWCP every
      > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
      am
      > paid on contract, that
      > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
      me
      > know now, 17 years
      > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
      >
      > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
      > that I've been
      > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
      reason
      > they have been paying my
      > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
      > had worked out how to
      > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
      > considered an OWCP
      > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
      OWCP
      > to discuss this issue,
      > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
      > within "three
      > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
      > guess is my claims examiner
      > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
      > to just let it slide,
      > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
      some
      > time when I can't
      > take care of it.
      >
      > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
      > income at the end of
      > the fiscal year? Kriste

    • Doug Hemken
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
        OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
        status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

        The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
        your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
        making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
        income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
        compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
        are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
        pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

        Douglas Hemken
        Statistical Consultant
        Social Science Micro Lab
        3218 Social Science Bldg.

        dehemken@...
        262-0862

      • Kaericsson@cs.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
          In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

          << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
          Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
          From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
          To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

          The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
          Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
          include:
          Slow turnaround
          Unclear communications
          Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
          Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
          wide variety of questions.

          Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

          Alana Petersen
          Congressman James L. Oberstar
          38625 14th Avenue
          Suite 300B
          North Branch, MN 55056
          (651) 277-1234 office
          (651) 308-0346 cell
          (651)277-1235 fax
          alanapetersen@...
          www.house.gov/oberstar

          Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
          contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
          putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
            > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
            > concerns of former
            > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
            > the issues would
            > include:
            > Slow turnaround
            > Unclear communications
            > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
            > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
            > not able to answer a
            > wide variety of questions.
            >
            > Are there other general issues you would suggest
            > addressing?

            Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
            questions, but often times they change your claims
            examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
            times in the last six months. -- Felicia