Re: [owcp] health insurance

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
      > Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

      I got married. However, in some states it is illegal to
      discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.
      Also, you may be able to pay a little bit more and be able
      to stay on your dad's insurance. HTH -- Felicia
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
        I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
        if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
        is probably good to let them know about your income. I
        think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
        Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
        several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
        difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

        > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
        Peace
        > Corps sent me a
        > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
        Dept
        > of Labor OWCP every
        > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
        am
        > paid on contract, that
        > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
        me
        > know now, 17 years
        > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
        >
        > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
        > that I've been
        > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
        reason
        > they have been paying my
        > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
        > had worked out how to
        > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
        > considered an OWCP
        > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
        OWCP
        > to discuss this issue,
        > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
        > within "three
        > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
        > guess is my claims examiner
        > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
        > to just let it slide,
        > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
        some
        > time when I can't
        > take care of it.
        >
        > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
        > income at the end of
        > the fiscal year? Kriste

      • Doug Hemken
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
          OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
          status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

          The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
          your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
          making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
          income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
          compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
          are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
          pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

          Douglas Hemken
          Statistical Consultant
          Social Science Micro Lab
          3218 Social Science Bldg.

          dehemken@...
          262-0862

        • Kaericsson@cs.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
            In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

            << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
            Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
            From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
            To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

            The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
            Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
            include:
            Slow turnaround
            Unclear communications
            Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
            Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
            wide variety of questions.

            Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

            Alana Petersen
            Congressman James L. Oberstar
            38625 14th Avenue
            Suite 300B
            North Branch, MN 55056
            (651) 277-1234 office
            (651) 308-0346 cell
            (651)277-1235 fax
            alanapetersen@...
            www.house.gov/oberstar

            Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
            contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
            putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
              > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
              > concerns of former
              > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
              > the issues would
              > include:
              > Slow turnaround
              > Unclear communications
              > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
              > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
              > not able to answer a
              > wide variety of questions.
              >
              > Are there other general issues you would suggest
              > addressing?

              Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
              questions, but often times they change your claims
              examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
              times in the last six months. -- Felicia