Re: [owcp] health insurance

  • Kaericsson@cs.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005

      You know, I do have another question -- this spring Peace Corps sent me a
      note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US Dept of Labor OWCP every
      time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and am paid on contract, that
      is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let me know now, 17 years
      after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?

      It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming that I've been
      unemployed all this time, and that that is the only reason they have been paying my
      medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I had worked out how to
      get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is considered an OWCP
      provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at OWCP to discuss this issue,
      and as the phone message says, she will get back to me within "three
      business days", which, of course is already passed... My guess is my claims examiner
      is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best to just let it slide,
      but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at some time when I can't
      take care of it.

      Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly income at the end of
      the fiscal year? Kriste
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
        > Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

        I got married. However, in some states it is illegal to
        discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.
        Also, you may be able to pay a little bit more and be able
        to stay on your dad's insurance. HTH -- Felicia
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
          I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
          if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
          is probably good to let them know about your income. I
          think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
          Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
          several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
          difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

          > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
          Peace
          > Corps sent me a
          > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
          Dept
          > of Labor OWCP every
          > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
          am
          > paid on contract, that
          > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
          me
          > know now, 17 years
          > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
          >
          > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
          > that I've been
          > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
          reason
          > they have been paying my
          > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
          > had worked out how to
          > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
          > considered an OWCP
          > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
          OWCP
          > to discuss this issue,
          > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
          > within "three
          > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
          > guess is my claims examiner
          > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
          > to just let it slide,
          > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
          some
          > time when I can't
          > take care of it.
          >
          > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
          > income at the end of
          > the fiscal year? Kriste

        • Doug Hemken
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
            OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
            status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

            The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
            your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
            making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
            income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
            compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
            are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
            pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

            Douglas Hemken
            Statistical Consultant
            Social Science Micro Lab
            3218 Social Science Bldg.

            dehemken@...
            262-0862

          • Kaericsson@cs.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
              In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

              << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
              Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
              From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
              To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

              The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
              Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
              include:
              Slow turnaround
              Unclear communications
              Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
              Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
              wide variety of questions.

              Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

              Alana Petersen
              Congressman James L. Oberstar
              38625 14th Avenue
              Suite 300B
              North Branch, MN 55056
              (651) 277-1234 office
              (651) 308-0346 cell
              (651)277-1235 fax
              alanapetersen@...
              www.house.gov/oberstar

              Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
              contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
              putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
                > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
                > concerns of former
                > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
                > the issues would
                > include:
                > Slow turnaround
                > Unclear communications
                > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
                > not able to answer a
                > wide variety of questions.
                >
                > Are there other general issues you would suggest
                > addressing?

                Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
                questions, but often times they change your claims
                examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
                times in the last six months. -- Felicia