Re: [owcp] health insurance

  • Kaericsson@cs.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005

      Hi Nancy: What do you mean by a pre-existing issue? Do you mean my medical
      problem? It is a sleeping disorder that can be caused initially by undue stress,
      or a blow to the head, or whatever. Brain damage, I guess. Often the cause is
      considered genetic. I don't get a good night's sleep now without the proper
      medication. I was fortunate that the Peace Corps agreed it was due to stress.
      It didn't come up for debate. Kriste

      In a message dated 9/26/05 9:21:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
      FourDirect@... writes:

      <<
      Kristie,

      How were you able to get around the pre-existing issue? I've tried, myself
      with not much luck in the past and have paid much higher premiums than you.
      Sorry if I sounded so negative earlier. I'm tired.

      I am eager to hear of ideas!
      Nancy

    • Kaericsson@cs.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005

        You know, I do have another question -- this spring Peace Corps sent me a
        note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US Dept of Labor OWCP every
        time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and am paid on contract, that
        is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let me know now, 17 years
        after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?

        It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming that I've been
        unemployed all this time, and that that is the only reason they have been paying my
        medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I had worked out how to
        get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is considered an OWCP
        provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at OWCP to discuss this issue,
        and as the phone message says, she will get back to me within "three
        business days", which, of course is already passed... My guess is my claims examiner
        is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best to just let it slide,
        but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at some time when I can't
        take care of it.

        Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly income at the end of
        the fiscal year? Kriste
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
          > Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

          I got married. However, in some states it is illegal to
          discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.
          Also, you may be able to pay a little bit more and be able
          to stay on your dad's insurance. HTH -- Felicia
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
            I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
            if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
            is probably good to let them know about your income. I
            think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
            Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
            several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
            difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

            > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
            Peace
            > Corps sent me a
            > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
            Dept
            > of Labor OWCP every
            > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
            am
            > paid on contract, that
            > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
            me
            > know now, 17 years
            > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
            >
            > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
            > that I've been
            > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
            reason
            > they have been paying my
            > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
            > had worked out how to
            > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
            > considered an OWCP
            > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
            OWCP
            > to discuss this issue,
            > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
            > within "three
            > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
            > guess is my claims examiner
            > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
            > to just let it slide,
            > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
            some
            > time when I can't
            > take care of it.
            >
            > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
            > income at the end of
            > the fiscal year? Kriste

          • Doug Hemken
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
              OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
              status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

              The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
              your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
              making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
              income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
              compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
              are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
              pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

              Douglas Hemken
              Statistical Consultant
              Social Science Micro Lab
              3218 Social Science Bldg.

              dehemken@...
              262-0862

            • Kaericsson@cs.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
                In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

                << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
                Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
                From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
                To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

                The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
                Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
                include:
                Slow turnaround
                Unclear communications
                Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
                wide variety of questions.

                Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

                Alana Petersen
                Congressman James L. Oberstar
                38625 14th Avenue
                Suite 300B
                North Branch, MN 55056
                (651) 277-1234 office
                (651) 308-0346 cell
                (651)277-1235 fax
                alanapetersen@...
                www.house.gov/oberstar

                Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
                contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
                putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
                  > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
                  > concerns of former
                  > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
                  > the issues would
                  > include:
                  > Slow turnaround
                  > Unclear communications
                  > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                  > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
                  > not able to answer a
                  > wide variety of questions.
                  >
                  > Are there other general issues you would suggest
                  > addressing?

                  Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
                  questions, but often times they change your claims
                  examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
                  times in the last six months. -- Felicia