Re: [owcp] health insurance

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29 6:53 PM
      Kristie,

      You gave good advice to Jess. I think that MN is an exceptional state as far as services are concerned. Does anyone else out there know if there are similar services elsewhere? And Jess, have you found anything? I didn't mean to be so negative last week. I was in the midst of many of my own struggles. On a few occasions I was a bit less than forthright on my individual self-employed medical insurance applications and got accepted but never billed them for anything that was legitimately not Peace Corps related or pre-existing. Those bills I directly to USDOL and fought those battles out with them. It is a slippery road but I ultimately had to do what was necessary for me, right or wrong according to the system. Just one suggestion but not necessarily the best thing. Kevin, do you have any ideas? Don't know if you've had your own health insurance - or anyone else?

      This is such a crucial issue and dilemma for all of us who can't or don't work full time in benefited positions who have had illnesses from the Peace Corps.

      Best,
      Nancy
    • Kaericsson@cs.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29 7:29 PM

        Hi Nancy: What do you mean by a pre-existing issue? Do you mean my medical
        problem? It is a sleeping disorder that can be caused initially by undue stress,
        or a blow to the head, or whatever. Brain damage, I guess. Often the cause is
        considered genetic. I don't get a good night's sleep now without the proper
        medication. I was fortunate that the Peace Corps agreed it was due to stress.
        It didn't come up for debate. Kriste

        In a message dated 9/26/05 9:21:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
        FourDirect@... writes:

        <<
        Kristie,

        How were you able to get around the pre-existing issue? I've tried, myself
        with not much luck in the past and have paid much higher premiums than you.
        Sorry if I sounded so negative earlier. I'm tired.

        I am eager to hear of ideas!
        Nancy

      • Kaericsson@cs.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29 8:33 PM

          You know, I do have another question -- this spring Peace Corps sent me a
          note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US Dept of Labor OWCP every
          time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and am paid on contract, that
          is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let me know now, 17 years
          after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?

          It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming that I've been
          unemployed all this time, and that that is the only reason they have been paying my
          medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I had worked out how to
          get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is considered an OWCP
          provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at OWCP to discuss this issue,
          and as the phone message says, she will get back to me within "three
          business days", which, of course is already passed... My guess is my claims examiner
          is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best to just let it slide,
          but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at some time when I can't
          take care of it.

          Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly income at the end of
          the fiscal year? Kriste
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
            > Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

            I got married. However, in some states it is illegal to
            discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.
            Also, you may be able to pay a little bit more and be able
            to stay on your dad's insurance. HTH -- Felicia
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
              I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
              if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
              is probably good to let them know about your income. I
              think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
              Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
              several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
              difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

              > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
              Peace
              > Corps sent me a
              > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
              Dept
              > of Labor OWCP every
              > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
              am
              > paid on contract, that
              > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
              me
              > know now, 17 years
              > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
              >
              > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
              > that I've been
              > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
              reason
              > they have been paying my
              > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
              > had worked out how to
              > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
              > considered an OWCP
              > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
              OWCP
              > to discuss this issue,
              > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
              > within "three
              > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
              > guess is my claims examiner
              > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
              > to just let it slide,
              > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
              some
              > time when I can't
              > take care of it.
              >
              > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
              > income at the end of
              > the fiscal year? Kriste

            • Doug Hemken
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
                status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

                The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
                your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
                making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
                income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
                compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
                are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
                pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

                Douglas Hemken
                Statistical Consultant
                Social Science Micro Lab
                3218 Social Science Bldg.

                dehemken@...
                262-0862

              • Kaericsson@cs.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
                  In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

                  << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
                  Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
                  From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
                  To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

                  The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
                  Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
                  include:
                  Slow turnaround
                  Unclear communications
                  Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                  Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
                  wide variety of questions.

                  Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

                  Alana Petersen
                  Congressman James L. Oberstar
                  38625 14th Avenue
                  Suite 300B
                  North Branch, MN 55056
                  (651) 277-1234 office
                  (651) 308-0346 cell
                  (651)277-1235 fax
                  alanapetersen@...
                  www.house.gov/oberstar

                  Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
                  contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
                  putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
                    > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
                    > concerns of former
                    > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
                    > the issues would
                    > include:
                    > Slow turnaround
                    > Unclear communications
                    > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                    > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
                    > not able to answer a
                    > wide variety of questions.
                    >
                    > Are there other general issues you would suggest
                    > addressing?

                    Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
                    questions, but often times they change your claims
                    examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
                    times in the last six months. -- Felicia