making a feca claim

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
      While in Peace Corps I got very sick (shocking, I know, lol) and I was
      medevac'd to Thailand, where they found out I had stomach ulcers. I
      never had any problem like that prior to my PC service. The PC paid
      for an evaluation during my 6 mths after service, but now that time
      has expired and I KNOW that the ulcer(s) has returned. So I need to
      go to a doctor to get it checked out, and there may be possible tests
      needed to be performed, as well as medication. My questions are will
      this be covered by FECA, and if so, what do I need to do in order to
      get them to cover it? I just can't understand their website and I
      keep getting an automated system when I try to call. Do I need
      authorization first?
    • Donald Weaks
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
        It will only be covered by FECA if a worker's comp claim has been filed and I wouldn't do anything without prior approval as far as trying to get it covered by the OMS. If you have Corps Care talk to them, they are good at giving advice.

        Jessica <jess428@...> wrote:
        While in Peace Corps I got very sick (shocking, I know, lol) and I was
        medevac'd to Thailand, where they found out I had stomach ulcers.  I
        never had any problem like that prior to my PC service.  The PC paid
        for an evaluation during my 6 mths after service, but now that time
        has expired and I KNOW that the ulcer(s) has returned.  So I need to
        go to a doctor to get it checked out, and there may be possible tests
        needed to be performed, as well as medication.  My questions are will
        this be covered by FECA, and if so, what do I need to do in order to
        get them to cover it?  I just can't understand their website and I
        keep getting an automated system when I try to call.  Do I need
        authorization first?

        Visit our website at www.aedtogo.org or make your tax deductible contribution to: Hope through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

        Yahoo! for Good
      • Jessica
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
          I don'thave Corps Care anymore, but I do have another insurance. I
          talked to Post Service and they are sending me the paperwork to file
          a claim, but they said I have to go to a dr now and get him to say
          that I do indeed need testing/treatment. Then PC will send the DoL
          my med records. So basically its going to be a looooong process and
          me having to wait to get treatment. I love it. Oh, and they told
          me to just pay everything 'out of pocket' until then. Ha Ha Ha Ha
          Ha they are so funny.

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Donald Weaks <donaldweaks@y...> wrote:
          > It will only be covered by FECA if a worker's comp claim has been
          filed and I wouldn't do anything without prior approval as far as
          trying to get it covered by the OMS. If you have Corps Care talk to
          them, they are good at giving advice.

          > Jessica <jess428@h...> wrote:While in Peace Corps I got very sick
          (shocking, I know, lol) and I was
          > medevac'd to Thailand, where they found out I had stomach ulcers.
          > never had any problem like that prior to my PC service. The PC
          paid
          > for an evaluation during my 6 mths after service, but now that
          time
          > has expired and I KNOW that the ulcer(s) has returned. So I need
          > go to a doctor to get it checked out, and there may be possible
          tests
          > needed to be performed, as well as medication. My questions are
          will
          > this be covered by FECA, and if so, what do I need to do in order
          > get them to cover it? I just can't understand their website and I
          > keep getting an automated system when I try to call. Do I need
          > authorization first?

          > 9; compensation Marine corps Peace Owcp Volunteerism Corps

          Service.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
            So sorry you are having to deal with a post service health issue.

            I think it is important to have an evaluation by a doctor as without that, it is nearly impossible to even file a claim - kind of a chicken or the egg deal. But if you have that, they you will have a practitioner who can complete her/his part of the filing of the claim, if need be. I filed mine so long ago I'm not clear on the details but doing things in the proper order actually is important. And in doing that, it can expedite the claim. What state are you in? Just keep ALL receipts related to anything you pay out of pocket and keep detailed records on your computer or calendar so that you know what conversations happened when and so forth so that you can detail that down the road. It is probably worth paying up front for this initial evaluation just in order to get your claim going and worth getting some kind of claim going in case you end up having a medical problem down the road (which I hope you don't have.)

            There are quite a few of us out here who can try to guide you in the process.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              I'd suggest calling the Peace Corps's post service medical
              unit and asking for their information packet on filing a
              worker's comp claim. It covers most things. -- Felicia

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
                Yes, that is exactly what you have to do. Yes, it is a
                long process. Since you already have insurance, they may
                be able to cover some of it. -- Felicia