Re: [owcp] health insurance

  • Kaericsson@cs.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
      Hi Jess:

      My medical condition does not allow me to go through most insurance agencies,
      such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield. My only option in Minnesota is called
      Minnesota Comprehensive Health Insurance, and is provided through Medica. Since I
      hold a couple of part time jobs (totalling 36 hours a week) I pay for it myself
      and it is cost-prohibitive, although good coverage. Right now I have a $670
      quarterly payment staring me in the face. That is with a $2000 deductable, if I
      remember right. Of course, I am 48 years old, not 25, so your payment would be
      less. Hopefully you have other options.

      The medical costs directly attributed to the disability I incurred during my
      time with the Peace Corps are paid by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. MN Comprehensive
      Health covers the rest.

      Sincerely,

      Kriste

      In a message dated 9/26/05 6:32:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
      jess428@... writes:

      <<
      I have a question about what everyone did about getting health
      insurance if
      they didnt have a job that provided it. My current job doesnt
      provide
      health insurance, and I will be taken off my dad's policy in a few
      mths
      when I turn 25. Unfortunately, no insurance company wants to give me
      health insurance b/c of my pre-existing conditions--PC related stuff.
      Does
      anyone have any suggestions? I really need health insurance.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
        Kristie,

        How were you able to get around the pre-existing issue? I've tried, myself with not much luck in the past and have paid much higher premiums than you. Sorry if I sounded so negative earlier. I'm tired.

        I am eager to hear of ideas!
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005
          Kristie,

          You gave good advice to Jess. I think that MN is an exceptional state as far as services are concerned. Does anyone else out there know if there are similar services elsewhere? And Jess, have you found anything? I didn't mean to be so negative last week. I was in the midst of many of my own struggles. On a few occasions I was a bit less than forthright on my individual self-employed medical insurance applications and got accepted but never billed them for anything that was legitimately not Peace Corps related or pre-existing. Those bills I directly to USDOL and fought those battles out with them. It is a slippery road but I ultimately had to do what was necessary for me, right or wrong according to the system. Just one suggestion but not necessarily the best thing. Kevin, do you have any ideas? Don't know if you've had your own health insurance - or anyone else?

          This is such a crucial issue and dilemma for all of us who can't or don't work full time in benefited positions who have had illnesses from the Peace Corps.

          Best,
          Nancy
        • Kaericsson@cs.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005

            Hi Nancy: What do you mean by a pre-existing issue? Do you mean my medical
            problem? It is a sleeping disorder that can be caused initially by undue stress,
            or a blow to the head, or whatever. Brain damage, I guess. Often the cause is
            considered genetic. I don't get a good night's sleep now without the proper
            medication. I was fortunate that the Peace Corps agreed it was due to stress.
            It didn't come up for debate. Kriste

            <<

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005

              You know, I do have another question -- this spring Peace Corps sent me a
              note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US Dept of Labor OWCP every
              time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and am paid on contract, that
              is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let me know now, 17 years
              after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?

              It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming that I've been
              unemployed all this time, and that that is the only reason they have been paying my
              medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I had worked out how to
              get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is considered an OWCP
              provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at OWCP to discuss this issue,
              and as the phone message says, she will get back to me within "three
              business days", which, of course is already passed... My guess is my claims examiner
              is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best to just let it slide,
              but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at some time when I can't
              take care of it.

              Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly income at the end of
              the fiscal year? Kriste
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                > Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

                I got married. However, in some states it is illegal to
                discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.
                Also, you may be able to pay a little bit more and be able
                to stay on your dad's insurance. HTH -- Felicia
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                  I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
                  if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
                  is probably good to let them know about your income. I
                  think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
                  Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
                  several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
                  difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

                  > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
                  Peace
                  > Corps sent me a
                  > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
                  Dept
                  > of Labor OWCP every
                  > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
                  am
                  > paid on contract, that
                  > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
                  me
                  > know now, 17 years
                  > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
                  >
                  > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
                  > that I've been
                  > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
                  reason
                  > they have been paying my
                  > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
                  > had worked out how to
                  > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
                  > considered an OWCP
                  > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
                  OWCP
                  > to discuss this issue,
                  > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
                  > within "three
                  > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
                  > guess is my claims examiner
                  > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
                  > to just let it slide,
                  > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
                  some
                  > time when I can't
                  > take care of it.
                  >
                  > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
                  > income at the end of
                  > the fiscal year? Kriste

                • Doug Hemken
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                    OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
                    status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

                    The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
                    your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
                    making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
                    income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
                    compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
                    are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
                    pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

                    Douglas Hemken
                    Statistical Consultant
                    Social Science Micro Lab
                    3218 Social Science Bldg.

                    dehemken@...
                    262-0862

                  • Kaericsson@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
                      In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

                      << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
                      Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
                      From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
                      To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

                      The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
                      Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
                      include:
                      Slow turnaround
                      Unclear communications
                      Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                      Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
                      wide variety of questions.

                      Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

                      Alana Petersen
                      Congressman James L. Oberstar
                      38625 14th Avenue
                      Suite 300B
                      North Branch, MN 55056
                      (651) 277-1234 office
                      (651) 308-0346 cell
                      (651)277-1235 fax
                      alanapetersen@...
                      www.house.gov/oberstar

                      Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
                      contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
                      putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
                        > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
                        > concerns of former
                        > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
                        > the issues would
                        > include:
                        > Slow turnaround
                        > Unclear communications
                        > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                        > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
                        > not able to answer a
                        > wide variety of questions.
                        >
                        > Are there other general issues you would suggest
                        > addressing?

                        Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
                        questions, but often times they change your claims
                        examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
                        times in the last six months. -- Felicia