Re: [owcp] health insurance

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26 5:34 PM
      In a message dated 9/26/2005 7:31:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, jess428@... writes:

      Subj:[owcp] health insurance
      Date:9/26/2005 7:31:06 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From:jess428@...
      Reply-to:owcp@yahoogroups.com
      To:owcp@yahoogroups.com
      Sent from the Internet

      I have a question about what everyone did about getting health
      insurance if
      they didnt have a job that provided it.  My current job doesnt
      provide
      health insurance, and I will be taken off my dad's policy in a few
      mths
      when I turn 25.  Unfortunately, no insurance company wants to give me
      health insurance b/c of my pre-existing conditions--PC related stuff.
      Does
      anyone have any suggestions?  I really need health insurance.

      Yeah, this is a complete injustice for all of us. Many of us in the 1980's lobbied for insurance and finally PC did institute a group policy for a short amt of time after return of service. I have had to go on Social Security Disability so that I can now receive Medicare despite being well under age for that. I have had to NOT work in order to get health insurance. This system has done nothing right by us.

      You can try slipping through the cracks by not necessarily listing any pre-existing issues and try for some insurance that way. After doing this for 20 years all I care about anymore is survival. I wish I had better information for you.

      Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

      Nancy
    • Kaericsson@cs.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26 7:15 PM
        Hi Jess:

        My medical condition does not allow me to go through most insurance agencies,
        such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield. My only option in Minnesota is called
        Minnesota Comprehensive Health Insurance, and is provided through Medica. Since I
        hold a couple of part time jobs (totalling 36 hours a week) I pay for it myself
        and it is cost-prohibitive, although good coverage. Right now I have a $670
        quarterly payment staring me in the face. That is with a $2000 deductable, if I
        remember right. Of course, I am 48 years old, not 25, so your payment would be
        less. Hopefully you have other options.

        The medical costs directly attributed to the disability I incurred during my
        time with the Peace Corps are paid by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. MN Comprehensive
        Health covers the rest.

        Sincerely,

        Kriste

        <<

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26 7:21 PM
          Kristie,

          How were you able to get around the pre-existing issue? I've tried, myself with not much luck in the past and have paid much higher premiums than you. Sorry if I sounded so negative earlier. I'm tired.

          I am eager to hear of ideas!
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29 6:53 PM
            Kristie,

            You gave good advice to Jess. I think that MN is an exceptional state as far as services are concerned. Does anyone else out there know if there are similar services elsewhere? And Jess, have you found anything? I didn't mean to be so negative last week. I was in the midst of many of my own struggles. On a few occasions I was a bit less than forthright on my individual self-employed medical insurance applications and got accepted but never billed them for anything that was legitimately not Peace Corps related or pre-existing. Those bills I directly to USDOL and fought those battles out with them. It is a slippery road but I ultimately had to do what was necessary for me, right or wrong according to the system. Just one suggestion but not necessarily the best thing. Kevin, do you have any ideas? Don't know if you've had your own health insurance - or anyone else?

            This is such a crucial issue and dilemma for all of us who can't or don't work full time in benefited positions who have had illnesses from the Peace Corps.

            Best,
            Nancy
          • Kaericsson@cs.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29 7:29 PM

              Hi Nancy: What do you mean by a pre-existing issue? Do you mean my medical
              problem? It is a sleeping disorder that can be caused initially by undue stress,
              or a blow to the head, or whatever. Brain damage, I guess. Often the cause is
              considered genetic. I don't get a good night's sleep now without the proper
              medication. I was fortunate that the Peace Corps agreed it was due to stress.
              It didn't come up for debate. Kriste

              <<

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 29 8:33 PM

                You know, I do have another question -- this spring Peace Corps sent me a
                note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US Dept of Labor OWCP every
                time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and am paid on contract, that
                is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let me know now, 17 years
                after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?

                It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming that I've been
                unemployed all this time, and that that is the only reason they have been paying my
                medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I had worked out how to
                get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is considered an OWCP
                provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at OWCP to discuss this issue,
                and as the phone message says, she will get back to me within "three
                business days", which, of course is already passed... My guess is my claims examiner
                is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best to just let it slide,
                but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at some time when I can't
                take care of it.

                Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly income at the end of
                the fiscal year? Kriste
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                  > Do any of you out there have savvier ideas?

                  I got married. However, in some states it is illegal to
                  discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.
                  Also, you may be able to pay a little bit more and be able
                  to stay on your dad's insurance. HTH -- Felicia
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                    I think this is mainly related to OWCP compensation (like
                    if they are sending you a check each month). However, it
                    is probably good to let them know about your income. I
                    think you have to keep calling the claims examiner.
                    Unfortunately, they have changed my claims examiner
                    several times in the last few weeks, so it has been
                    difficult to get things done. -- Felicia

                    > You know, I do have another question -- this spring
                    Peace
                    > Corps sent me a
                    > note stating that I am supposed to be reporting to US
                    Dept
                    > of Labor OWCP every
                    > time I have a change in income. Since I free-lance and
                    am
                    > paid on contract, that
                    > is numerous times per year. Also, why do they only let
                    me
                    > know now, 17 years
                    > after being medivaced and going onto OWCP?
                    >
                    > It kind of worries me that OWCP may have been assuming
                    > that I've been
                    > unemployed all this time, and that that is the only
                    reason
                    > they have been paying my
                    > medical expenses. I decided to leave this snaffu until I
                    > had worked out how to
                    > get my current doctor on their payroll. Now that he is
                    > considered an OWCP
                    > provider, I left a message for my claims examiner at
                    OWCP
                    > to discuss this issue,
                    > and as the phone message says, she will get back to me
                    > within "three
                    > business days", which, of course is already passed... My
                    > guess is my claims examiner
                    > is not the person to talk to, and maybe it would be best
                    > to just let it slide,
                    > but who knows, then maybe this will all dump on me at
                    some
                    > time when I can't
                    > take care of it.
                    >
                    > Any good suggestions? Can one just report their yearly
                    > income at the end of
                    > the fiscal year? Kriste

                  • Doug Hemken
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005
                      OWCP will pay your *medical* expenses regardless of your employment
                      status. All that matters is that it was a job-related injury/illness.

                      The business about reporting wages is for the purposes of calculating
                      your *compensation*. OWCP will pay you for up to 2/3 of what you were
                      making, less 2/3 of however much you earn. If you have unreported
                      income from past years, they can calculate how much they overpaid you in
                      compensation, and ask for it back. You want them to know how much you
                      are making now, so they won't have to do that. You can also ask them to
                      pay you for any amount they have under-compensated you.

                      Douglas Hemken
                      Statistical Consultant
                      Social Science Micro Lab
                      3218 Social Science Bldg.

                      dehemken@...
                      262-0862

                    • Kaericsson@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005
                        In a message dated 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time,

                        << Subj: RE: [owcp] health insurance
                        Date: 10/6/05 10:31:05 AM Central Daylight Time
                        From: Alana.Petersen@... (Petersen, Alana)
                        To: Kaericsson@... ('Kaericsson@...')

                        The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the concerns of former
                        Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that the issues would
                        include:
                        Slow turnaround
                        Unclear communications
                        Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                        Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is not able to answer a
                        wide variety of questions.

                        Are there other general issues you would suggest addressing?

                        Alana Petersen
                        Congressman James L. Oberstar
                        38625 14th Avenue
                        Suite 300B
                        North Branch, MN 55056
                        (651) 277-1234 office
                        (651) 308-0346 cell
                        (651)277-1235 fax
                        alanapetersen@...
                        www.house.gov/oberstar

                        Hi Alana: This looks good for starters. Perhaps you could include "Unable to
                        contact the correct informational resources at OWCP as/when needed." I am
                        putting your message out on our listserve for other suggestions. Thanks! Kriste

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8, 2005
                          > The Congressman asked my to draft a letter outling the
                          > concerns of former
                          > Peace Corp volunteers to OWCP. My understanding is that
                          > the issues would
                          > include:
                          > Slow turnaround
                          > Unclear communications
                          > Inconsistent treatment of peace corp volunteers
                          > Customer Service is poor - i.e. the claims examiner is
                          > not able to answer a
                          > wide variety of questions.
                          >
                          > Are there other general issues you would suggest
                          > addressing?

                          Not only is the claims examiner not able to answers
                          questions, but often times they change your claims
                          examiner without telling you. Mine has been changed three
                          times in the last six months. -- Felicia