Re: [owcp] Re: group question

  • Kaericsson@cs.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005

      Hi All:

      Finally I, too am writing. It has been interesting following all of your
      correspondense.

      I was also separated from the Peace Corps in 1988 due to psychiatric
      problems. Actually this did not develop from culture shock or job related difficulties
      while on site, but due to boyfriend problems. Coulda happened anywhere -- it
      happened while I was in training in South America. I developed a sleeping
      disorder. Of course, day to day stresses probably did aggravate the situation.
      Peace Corps took responsibility for all aspects of your life -- kind of them! I
      asked for counselling through Peace Corps right away, but the infrastructure
      was not there. They provided it for me a year and a half later, but by then it
      was too late. I was losing so much sleep I was hallucinating. I was sent home
      after a year and nine months of service.

      I felt the Peace Corps did their job once I was back stateside, and my
      expenses for psychiatric care are still handled by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. However,
      even then OWCP was a dinosaur. I had to handle all the paper work for
      reimbursement for medications. Finally OWCP got my pharmacy in the system, and I don't
      have to pay much attention to that any more. However, like with the rest of
      you, it is getting more difficult in other ways.

      In December 2004 the psychiatrist handling my medications retired. His
      replacement was not considered a provider under OWCP. They would not pay him for my
      office visits. Now, I have had dozens of doctors treating my disorder since
      1988, because I have moved a lot, and so have my doctors. This was the first
      time OWCP had not accepted one as a provider, as far as I know. Finally he has
      been paid for my three office visits, 10 months after I first saw him. He has
      drummed it in to me that fewer doctors are taking OWCP patients for this very
      reason -- it appears to be the most cumbersome health insurance agency in the US.

      Getting reimbursement for lab work has also become screwy this past year.
      OWCP would not accept the diagnosis codes submitted by my current doctor for my
      lab work -- they would not accept the specific code for my disorder, only a
      "nonspecific diagnosis" code originally submitted when I originally returned from
      the Peace Corps, before my diagnosis was solidified. With the help of Rep.
      James Oberstar those bills have now been paid, but I think still using that
      "nonspecific" code. I know OWCP has codes available for my disorder -- and my
      psychiatrist thinks it would be better to use them. Some of my doctors used them
      successfully with OWCP earlier. (Go figure.)

      Tomorrow Oberstar will be in my town at a fundraiser dinner and I believe
      will be taking a moment to speak with me in person. I dropped off copies of some
      of your letters at his area office yesterday so he'll have a chance to look
      them over. We need to develop a unified approach to encourage US Dept. of Labor
      OWCP to deal with its current and former employees in an equitable manner. I
      know that their personnel are overstretched and subject to rapid burnout -- but
      whose problem is that?!

      This group serve is a good start. What's the next step?
      I am open to suggestions.

      Sincerely,

      Kriste Ericsson
      Paraguay 87-88
      Minnesota
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
        I've heard of so many people having a terrible time with Larium. I am glad that you are still with all of us!