Re: [owcp] Re: group question

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
      Oh, yes, I'm very aware how lucky I have been. I almost
      wonder if it is because people who have had problems with
      Lariam occasionally kill themselves and if I was sent home
      from the Peace Corps with mental problems and then
      promptly killed myself there would probably have been an
      uproar. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or
      not.

      Anyway, sounds like you have had a much harder time than I
      have. So sorry. -- Felicia

    • Kaericsson@cs.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005

        Hi All:

        Finally I, too am writing. It has been interesting following all of your
        correspondense.

        I was also separated from the Peace Corps in 1988 due to psychiatric
        problems. Actually this did not develop from culture shock or job related difficulties
        while on site, but due to boyfriend problems. Coulda happened anywhere -- it
        happened while I was in training in South America. I developed a sleeping
        disorder. Of course, day to day stresses probably did aggravate the situation.
        Peace Corps took responsibility for all aspects of your life -- kind of them! I
        asked for counselling through Peace Corps right away, but the infrastructure
        was not there. They provided it for me a year and a half later, but by then it
        was too late. I was losing so much sleep I was hallucinating. I was sent home
        after a year and nine months of service.

        I felt the Peace Corps did their job once I was back stateside, and my
        expenses for psychiatric care are still handled by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. However,
        even then OWCP was a dinosaur. I had to handle all the paper work for
        reimbursement for medications. Finally OWCP got my pharmacy in the system, and I don't
        have to pay much attention to that any more. However, like with the rest of
        you, it is getting more difficult in other ways.

        In December 2004 the psychiatrist handling my medications retired. His
        replacement was not considered a provider under OWCP. They would not pay him for my
        office visits. Now, I have had dozens of doctors treating my disorder since
        1988, because I have moved a lot, and so have my doctors. This was the first
        time OWCP had not accepted one as a provider, as far as I know. Finally he has
        been paid for my three office visits, 10 months after I first saw him. He has
        drummed it in to me that fewer doctors are taking OWCP patients for this very
        reason -- it appears to be the most cumbersome health insurance agency in the US.

        Getting reimbursement for lab work has also become screwy this past year.
        OWCP would not accept the diagnosis codes submitted by my current doctor for my
        lab work -- they would not accept the specific code for my disorder, only a
        "nonspecific diagnosis" code originally submitted when I originally returned from
        the Peace Corps, before my diagnosis was solidified. With the help of Rep.
        James Oberstar those bills have now been paid, but I think still using that
        "nonspecific" code. I know OWCP has codes available for my disorder -- and my
        psychiatrist thinks it would be better to use them. Some of my doctors used them
        successfully with OWCP earlier. (Go figure.)

        Tomorrow Oberstar will be in my town at a fundraiser dinner and I believe
        will be taking a moment to speak with me in person. I dropped off copies of some
        of your letters at his area office yesterday so he'll have a chance to look
        them over. We need to develop a unified approach to encourage US Dept. of Labor
        OWCP to deal with its current and former employees in an equitable manner. I
        know that their personnel are overstretched and subject to rapid burnout -- but
        whose problem is that?!

        This group serve is a good start. What's the next step?
        I am open to suggestions.

        Sincerely,

        Kriste Ericsson
        Paraguay 87-88
        Minnesota
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
          I've heard of so many people having a terrible time with Larium. I am glad that you are still with all of us!