Re: [owcp] Re: group question

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
      In a message dated 9/15/2005 1:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, RPCVLAJarvis@... writes:

      If any of you
      are in California (other states too, not sure how all that
      works)...maybe we could all ban together and make one huge law suit -
      I would help with that and be willing to share my story if it helps
      and gets word out there...just a thought...

      Best of luck everyone...
      --Lauralee

      Lauralee,

      I'm in NY but I'd join any lawsuit group in a New York minute!
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
        Oh, yes, I'm very aware how lucky I have been. I almost
        wonder if it is because people who have had problems with
        Lariam occasionally kill themselves and if I was sent home
        from the Peace Corps with mental problems and then
        promptly killed myself there would probably have been an
        uproar. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or
        not.

        Anyway, sounds like you have had a much harder time than I
        have. So sorry. -- Felicia

      • Kaericsson@cs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005

          Hi All:

          Finally I, too am writing. It has been interesting following all of your
          correspondense.

          I was also separated from the Peace Corps in 1988 due to psychiatric
          problems. Actually this did not develop from culture shock or job related difficulties
          while on site, but due to boyfriend problems. Coulda happened anywhere -- it
          happened while I was in training in South America. I developed a sleeping
          disorder. Of course, day to day stresses probably did aggravate the situation.
          Peace Corps took responsibility for all aspects of your life -- kind of them! I
          asked for counselling through Peace Corps right away, but the infrastructure
          was not there. They provided it for me a year and a half later, but by then it
          was too late. I was losing so much sleep I was hallucinating. I was sent home
          after a year and nine months of service.

          I felt the Peace Corps did their job once I was back stateside, and my
          expenses for psychiatric care are still handled by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. However,
          even then OWCP was a dinosaur. I had to handle all the paper work for
          reimbursement for medications. Finally OWCP got my pharmacy in the system, and I don't
          have to pay much attention to that any more. However, like with the rest of
          you, it is getting more difficult in other ways.

          In December 2004 the psychiatrist handling my medications retired. His
          replacement was not considered a provider under OWCP. They would not pay him for my
          office visits. Now, I have had dozens of doctors treating my disorder since
          1988, because I have moved a lot, and so have my doctors. This was the first
          time OWCP had not accepted one as a provider, as far as I know. Finally he has
          been paid for my three office visits, 10 months after I first saw him. He has
          drummed it in to me that fewer doctors are taking OWCP patients for this very
          reason -- it appears to be the most cumbersome health insurance agency in the US.

          Getting reimbursement for lab work has also become screwy this past year.
          OWCP would not accept the diagnosis codes submitted by my current doctor for my
          lab work -- they would not accept the specific code for my disorder, only a
          "nonspecific diagnosis" code originally submitted when I originally returned from
          the Peace Corps, before my diagnosis was solidified. With the help of Rep.
          James Oberstar those bills have now been paid, but I think still using that
          "nonspecific" code. I know OWCP has codes available for my disorder -- and my
          psychiatrist thinks it would be better to use them. Some of my doctors used them
          successfully with OWCP earlier. (Go figure.)

          Tomorrow Oberstar will be in my town at a fundraiser dinner and I believe
          will be taking a moment to speak with me in person. I dropped off copies of some
          of your letters at his area office yesterday so he'll have a chance to look
          them over. We need to develop a unified approach to encourage US Dept. of Labor
          OWCP to deal with its current and former employees in an equitable manner. I
          know that their personnel are overstretched and subject to rapid burnout -- but
          whose problem is that?!

          This group serve is a good start. What's the next step?
          I am open to suggestions.

          Sincerely,

          Kriste Ericsson
          Paraguay 87-88
          Minnesota
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
            I've heard of so many people having a terrible time with Larium. I am glad that you are still with all of us!