Re: [owcp] Re: group question

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
      Felicia,

      I'm so pleased that you had a good experience. I think you are a rare and fortunate person. I was NOT medically separated and that was part of the problem in that my illness manifested itself after I returned home - bovine tuberculosis in the lymph nodes that then spread and wasn't diagnosed for a couple of years, along with a very rare form of meningitis and encehaplitis. So, proving the correlation was a challenge. But thereafter I've had to fight for every authorization, every bill and everything else.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
        Lauralee,

        Okay. I know the scenario very well. It is like a "Who's on First" routine only it isn't funny after all these years but that is exactly the way the conversations with all of those people go.

        So, I will download the form and hope for the best.

        I had the same experience with workers' comp lawyers way back when. No one wanted to touch the feds with a 10 foot pole. And we honestly do know more than anyone else can. It's just power we need.

        Best,
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
          In a message dated 9/15/2005 1:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, RPCVLAJarvis@... writes:

          If any of you
          are in California (other states too, not sure how all that
          works)...maybe we could all ban together and make one huge law suit -
          I would help with that and be willing to share my story if it helps
          and gets word out there...just a thought...

          Best of luck everyone...
          --Lauralee

          Lauralee,

          I'm in NY but I'd join any lawsuit group in a New York minute!
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
            Oh, yes, I'm very aware how lucky I have been. I almost
            wonder if it is because people who have had problems with
            Lariam occasionally kill themselves and if I was sent home
            from the Peace Corps with mental problems and then
            promptly killed myself there would probably have been an
            uproar. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or
            not.

            Anyway, sounds like you have had a much harder time than I
            have. So sorry. -- Felicia

          • Kaericsson@cs.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005

              Hi All:

              Finally I, too am writing. It has been interesting following all of your
              correspondense.

              I was also separated from the Peace Corps in 1988 due to psychiatric
              problems. Actually this did not develop from culture shock or job related difficulties
              while on site, but due to boyfriend problems. Coulda happened anywhere -- it
              happened while I was in training in South America. I developed a sleeping
              disorder. Of course, day to day stresses probably did aggravate the situation.
              Peace Corps took responsibility for all aspects of your life -- kind of them! I
              asked for counselling through Peace Corps right away, but the infrastructure
              was not there. They provided it for me a year and a half later, but by then it
              was too late. I was losing so much sleep I was hallucinating. I was sent home
              after a year and nine months of service.

              I felt the Peace Corps did their job once I was back stateside, and my
              expenses for psychiatric care are still handled by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. However,
              even then OWCP was a dinosaur. I had to handle all the paper work for
              reimbursement for medications. Finally OWCP got my pharmacy in the system, and I don't
              have to pay much attention to that any more. However, like with the rest of
              you, it is getting more difficult in other ways.

              In December 2004 the psychiatrist handling my medications retired. His
              replacement was not considered a provider under OWCP. They would not pay him for my
              office visits. Now, I have had dozens of doctors treating my disorder since
              1988, because I have moved a lot, and so have my doctors. This was the first
              time OWCP had not accepted one as a provider, as far as I know. Finally he has
              been paid for my three office visits, 10 months after I first saw him. He has
              drummed it in to me that fewer doctors are taking OWCP patients for this very
              reason -- it appears to be the most cumbersome health insurance agency in the US.

              Getting reimbursement for lab work has also become screwy this past year.
              OWCP would not accept the diagnosis codes submitted by my current doctor for my
              lab work -- they would not accept the specific code for my disorder, only a
              "nonspecific diagnosis" code originally submitted when I originally returned from
              the Peace Corps, before my diagnosis was solidified. With the help of Rep.
              James Oberstar those bills have now been paid, but I think still using that
              "nonspecific" code. I know OWCP has codes available for my disorder -- and my
              psychiatrist thinks it would be better to use them. Some of my doctors used them
              successfully with OWCP earlier. (Go figure.)

              Tomorrow Oberstar will be in my town at a fundraiser dinner and I believe
              will be taking a moment to speak with me in person. I dropped off copies of some
              of your letters at his area office yesterday so he'll have a chance to look
              them over. We need to develop a unified approach to encourage US Dept. of Labor
              OWCP to deal with its current and former employees in an equitable manner. I
              know that their personnel are overstretched and subject to rapid burnout -- but
              whose problem is that?!

              This group serve is a good start. What's the next step?
              I am open to suggestions.

              Sincerely,

              Kriste Ericsson
              Paraguay 87-88
              Minnesota
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
                I've heard of so many people having a terrible time with Larium. I am glad that you are still with all of us!