Re: [owcp] group question

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
      Heidi,

      Thanks so much for sharing your saga. My deal is that my providers won't take reimbursement even if it is sent to them. I have some that I have authorization for. My key question is if I still need a HCFA 1500 form and do I submit that bill completely filled out with proof of my own payment?

      Nancy
      PS How are you?
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
        Felicia,

        I'm so pleased that you had a good experience. I think you are a rare and fortunate person. I was NOT medically separated and that was part of the problem in that my illness manifested itself after I returned home - bovine tuberculosis in the lymph nodes that then spread and wasn't diagnosed for a couple of years, along with a very rare form of meningitis and encehaplitis. So, proving the correlation was a challenge. But thereafter I've had to fight for every authorization, every bill and everything else.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
          Lauralee,

          Okay. I know the scenario very well. It is like a "Who's on First" routine only it isn't funny after all these years but that is exactly the way the conversations with all of those people go.

          So, I will download the form and hope for the best.

          I had the same experience with workers' comp lawyers way back when. No one wanted to touch the feds with a 10 foot pole. And we honestly do know more than anyone else can. It's just power we need.

          Best,
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
            In a message dated 9/15/2005 1:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, RPCVLAJarvis@... writes:

            If any of you
            are in California (other states too, not sure how all that
            works)...maybe we could all ban together and make one huge law suit -
            I would help with that and be willing to share my story if it helps
            and gets word out there...just a thought...

            Best of luck everyone...
            --Lauralee

            Lauralee,

            I'm in NY but I'd join any lawsuit group in a New York minute!
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
              Oh, yes, I'm very aware how lucky I have been. I almost
              wonder if it is because people who have had problems with
              Lariam occasionally kill themselves and if I was sent home
              from the Peace Corps with mental problems and then
              promptly killed myself there would probably have been an
              uproar. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or
              not.

              Anyway, sounds like you have had a much harder time than I
              have. So sorry. -- Felicia

            • Kaericsson@cs.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005

                Hi All:

                Finally I, too am writing. It has been interesting following all of your
                correspondense.

                I was also separated from the Peace Corps in 1988 due to psychiatric
                problems. Actually this did not develop from culture shock or job related difficulties
                while on site, but due to boyfriend problems. Coulda happened anywhere -- it
                happened while I was in training in South America. I developed a sleeping
                disorder. Of course, day to day stresses probably did aggravate the situation.
                Peace Corps took responsibility for all aspects of your life -- kind of them! I
                asked for counselling through Peace Corps right away, but the infrastructure
                was not there. They provided it for me a year and a half later, but by then it
                was too late. I was losing so much sleep I was hallucinating. I was sent home
                after a year and nine months of service.

                I felt the Peace Corps did their job once I was back stateside, and my
                expenses for psychiatric care are still handled by US Dept. of Labor OWCP. However,
                even then OWCP was a dinosaur. I had to handle all the paper work for
                reimbursement for medications. Finally OWCP got my pharmacy in the system, and I don't
                have to pay much attention to that any more. However, like with the rest of
                you, it is getting more difficult in other ways.

                In December 2004 the psychiatrist handling my medications retired. His
                replacement was not considered a provider under OWCP. They would not pay him for my
                office visits. Now, I have had dozens of doctors treating my disorder since
                1988, because I have moved a lot, and so have my doctors. This was the first
                time OWCP had not accepted one as a provider, as far as I know. Finally he has
                been paid for my three office visits, 10 months after I first saw him. He has
                drummed it in to me that fewer doctors are taking OWCP patients for this very
                reason -- it appears to be the most cumbersome health insurance agency in the US.

                Getting reimbursement for lab work has also become screwy this past year.
                OWCP would not accept the diagnosis codes submitted by my current doctor for my
                lab work -- they would not accept the specific code for my disorder, only a
                "nonspecific diagnosis" code originally submitted when I originally returned from
                the Peace Corps, before my diagnosis was solidified. With the help of Rep.
                James Oberstar those bills have now been paid, but I think still using that
                "nonspecific" code. I know OWCP has codes available for my disorder -- and my
                psychiatrist thinks it would be better to use them. Some of my doctors used them
                successfully with OWCP earlier. (Go figure.)

                Tomorrow Oberstar will be in my town at a fundraiser dinner and I believe
                will be taking a moment to speak with me in person. I dropped off copies of some
                of your letters at his area office yesterday so he'll have a chance to look
                them over. We need to develop a unified approach to encourage US Dept. of Labor
                OWCP to deal with its current and former employees in an equitable manner. I
                know that their personnel are overstretched and subject to rapid burnout -- but
                whose problem is that?!

                This group serve is a good start. What's the next step?
                I am open to suggestions.

                Sincerely,

                Kriste Ericsson
                Paraguay 87-88
                Minnesota
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
                  I've heard of so many people having a terrible time with Larium. I am glad that you are still with all of us!