Re: New to the Group

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2005
      The letter is in our files section:

      I had intended to have a re-write available by now, but my schedule
      has not allowed that. Hopefully, I can have it available before I
      go on vacation in a couple weeks.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "lajarvis78" <RPCVLAJarvis@a...> wrote:
      > I have just a read a little bit from people here on this site. I
      > was medically separated on January 9, 2005, after just over 21
      > months of service...since then I have been fighting them for
      medical
      > bills and such. Of course my illness was all due to incompetence
      on
      > the part of my PC medic. I have been desperately trying to get
      her
      > released from the PC, but have not had any luck. I am currently
      > looking into hiring a lawyer to see about a law suit due to PC
      > negligence. From some of the stories that I have read on here, my
      > illness was not as serious, but I will still have residual from it
      > possibly the rest of my life.
      >
      > If others are in this situation and need to hear my story to help
      > their cause, please I will do whatever I can to make changes! PC
      > needs an overhaul and I am going to make it my life's mission to
      see
      > that happens!
      >
      > Best of luck to everyone!
      > --LJ
      >
      > ps I have also read things about a letter, not sure what this is
      > about. If it is one to make changes, you can probably (cannot say
      > denfinate as I have not read it) count me in. I'm from Los
      Angeles,
      > CA, if that helps.
    • lajarvis78
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2005
        As I stated earlier I am new to this group, so I don't what has been
        discussed regarding the letter...my main suggestion is to use
        concrete examples of issues we have had. Here are some of mine:

        - PC gave me wrong forms when filing, so some claims were rejected
        and needed to be resent. Work comp told me that they have this
        problem all the time and they said that there is no communication
        between the two offices.

        - Time lap between PC medically separating volunteers and the 3
        months when work comp kicks in (if it does at all). That we are
        sick, PC kicks us out and we are forced to pay all medical bills out
        of our own pocket. I'm still trying to get reimbursed for all
        medical bills during that time.

        - The fact that case workers are not allowed to talk to the billing
        department, but yet the billing department constantly sends you back
        to your case worker to change things. Again, no communication
        between departments and they put us in the middle to try and figure
        out what each of them need so we can get our money!

        - The fact that they say that there are scheduling fees for every
        procedure and medicine, but yet they do not pay the same amount if
        you find a service or meds for cheaper (i.e. I was put on a very
        expensive antibiotic, CVS charged $120 for 10 days, work comp gave
        me $111 in reimbursement. Had to get a refill and this time went to
        Target who charged $80 for the pills, yet work comp only paid around
        $73 for the med).

        - There is no set procedure for filing an appeal. Yes, you can
        resubmit with a letter, but they never clearly state why it has been
        rejected and what you can do so that you can be paid.

        Those are the examples I could think of off the top of my head that
        I have dealt with. I'm sure I could come with many more, given more
        time. I will gladly have my name attached to this letter. It is
        nice to know that I am not alone in my frustrations, though I'm very
        sorry that all you are going through this too...it's just no fun!

        My info for the letter: I am from Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

        Take care all!
        --Lauralee
        RPCV EC70: Dominica
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
          Lauralee,

          Thanks for your comments.

          I've been grappling with the issue of examples since I wrote the
          first draft of the letter. I purposely left them out of that draft
          because I didn't want all of them to come from my personal
          experience. I plan to include some examples in the next draft,
          primarily drawing them from critiques that I've received from group
          members. However, I don't feel that I can include all of the
          examples that I've received, so I'll try to include ones that seem
          most universal.

          If you and others feel strongly that more of your experiences,
          issues, complaints, etc. need to be included, what do you think of
          allowing an addendum for each signatory to briefly address his or
          her story? Preparing an addendum would be optional, of course, and
          each signatory could decide whether to opt in or opt out.

          I apologize for not getting the second draft written in a timely
          fashion. I had anticipated it being done by know, but my schedule
          has not been cooperating. My new goal for completion is early in
          September. (I'll be out of town for about 10 days starting later
          this week.)

          Kevin

          P.S. Lauralee, and everyone: Your comments and suggestions about
          examples (and anything else) are welcome, as always. Although I've
          taken the lead with the letter, it is a group effort. Thanks!

        • Donald Weaks
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
            Kevin, I have been reading your correspondence but I have not added any examples because I have sent OMS a letter asking (demanding) a critical review of my case before 1 September. If nothing happens by then, I will have examples to add to your letter. I also plan to contact the OIG after 1 September. Good luck and have a safe trip. Don

            Visit our website at www.aedtogo.org or make your tax deductible contribution to: Hope through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Janice Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
              Jan Williams

> [...]
              >> Target who charged $80 for the pills, yet work comp only paid
              > around
              >> $73 for the med).
              >>
              >> - There is no set procedure for filing an appeal. Yes, you can
              >> resubmit with a letter, but they never clearly state why it has
              > been
              >> rejected and what you can do so that you can be paid.
              >>
              >> Those are the examples I could think of off the top of my head
              > that
              >> I have dealt with. I'm sure I could come with many more, given
              > more
              >> time. I will gladly have my name attached to this letter. It is
              >> nice to know that I am not alone in my frustrations, though I'm
              > very
              >> sorry that all you are going through this too...it's just no fun!
              >>
              >> My info for the letter: I am from Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

              This sounds good to me , too. Jan Williams