New to the Group

  • lajarvis78
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
      I have just a read a little bit from people here on this site. I
      was medically separated on January 9, 2005, after just over 21
      months of service...since then I have been fighting them for medical
      bills and such. Of course my illness was all due to incompetence on
      the part of my PC medic. I have been desperately trying to get her
      released from the PC, but have not had any luck. I am currently
      looking into hiring a lawyer to see about a law suit due to PC
      negligence. From some of the stories that I have read on here, my
      illness was not as serious, but I will still have residual from it
      possibly the rest of my life.

      If others are in this situation and need to hear my story to help
      their cause, please I will do whatever I can to make changes! PC
      needs an overhaul and I am going to make it my life's mission to see
      that happens!

      Best of luck to everyone!
      --LJ

      ps I have also read things about a letter, not sure what this is
      about. If it is one to make changes, you can probably (cannot say
      denfinate as I have not read it) count me in. I'm from Los Angeles,
      CA, if that helps.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2005
        The letter is in our files section:

        I had intended to have a re-write available by now, but my schedule
        has not allowed that. Hopefully, I can have it available before I
        go on vacation in a couple weeks.

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "lajarvis78" <RPCVLAJarvis@a...> wrote:
        > I have just a read a little bit from people here on this site. I
        > was medically separated on January 9, 2005, after just over 21
        > months of service...since then I have been fighting them for
        medical
        > bills and such. Of course my illness was all due to incompetence
        on
        > the part of my PC medic. I have been desperately trying to get
        her
        > released from the PC, but have not had any luck. I am currently
        > looking into hiring a lawyer to see about a law suit due to PC
        > negligence. From some of the stories that I have read on here, my
        > illness was not as serious, but I will still have residual from it
        > possibly the rest of my life.
        >
        > If others are in this situation and need to hear my story to help
        > their cause, please I will do whatever I can to make changes! PC
        > needs an overhaul and I am going to make it my life's mission to
        see
        > that happens!
        >
        > Best of luck to everyone!
        > --LJ
        >
        > ps I have also read things about a letter, not sure what this is
        > about. If it is one to make changes, you can probably (cannot say
        > denfinate as I have not read it) count me in. I'm from Los
        Angeles,
        > CA, if that helps.
      • lajarvis78
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2005
          As I stated earlier I am new to this group, so I don't what has been
          discussed regarding the letter...my main suggestion is to use
          concrete examples of issues we have had. Here are some of mine:

          - PC gave me wrong forms when filing, so some claims were rejected
          and needed to be resent. Work comp told me that they have this
          problem all the time and they said that there is no communication
          between the two offices.

          - Time lap between PC medically separating volunteers and the 3
          months when work comp kicks in (if it does at all). That we are
          sick, PC kicks us out and we are forced to pay all medical bills out
          of our own pocket. I'm still trying to get reimbursed for all
          medical bills during that time.

          - The fact that case workers are not allowed to talk to the billing
          department, but yet the billing department constantly sends you back
          to your case worker to change things. Again, no communication
          between departments and they put us in the middle to try and figure
          out what each of them need so we can get our money!

          - The fact that they say that there are scheduling fees for every
          procedure and medicine, but yet they do not pay the same amount if
          you find a service or meds for cheaper (i.e. I was put on a very
          expensive antibiotic, CVS charged $120 for 10 days, work comp gave
          me $111 in reimbursement. Had to get a refill and this time went to
          Target who charged $80 for the pills, yet work comp only paid around
          $73 for the med).

          - There is no set procedure for filing an appeal. Yes, you can
          resubmit with a letter, but they never clearly state why it has been
          rejected and what you can do so that you can be paid.

          Those are the examples I could think of off the top of my head that
          I have dealt with. I'm sure I could come with many more, given more
          time. I will gladly have my name attached to this letter. It is
          nice to know that I am not alone in my frustrations, though I'm very
          sorry that all you are going through this too...it's just no fun!

          My info for the letter: I am from Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

          Take care all!
          --Lauralee
          RPCV EC70: Dominica
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
            Lauralee,

            Thanks for your comments.

            I've been grappling with the issue of examples since I wrote the
            first draft of the letter. I purposely left them out of that draft
            because I didn't want all of them to come from my personal
            experience. I plan to include some examples in the next draft,
            primarily drawing them from critiques that I've received from group
            members. However, I don't feel that I can include all of the
            examples that I've received, so I'll try to include ones that seem
            most universal.

            If you and others feel strongly that more of your experiences,
            issues, complaints, etc. need to be included, what do you think of
            allowing an addendum for each signatory to briefly address his or
            her story? Preparing an addendum would be optional, of course, and
            each signatory could decide whether to opt in or opt out.

            I apologize for not getting the second draft written in a timely
            fashion. I had anticipated it being done by know, but my schedule
            has not been cooperating. My new goal for completion is early in
            September. (I'll be out of town for about 10 days starting later
            this week.)

            Kevin

            P.S. Lauralee, and everyone: Your comments and suggestions about
            examples (and anything else) are welcome, as always. Although I've
            taken the lead with the letter, it is a group effort. Thanks!

          • Donald Weaks
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
              Kevin, I have been reading your correspondence but I have not added any examples because I have sent OMS a letter asking (demanding) a critical review of my case before 1 September. If nothing happens by then, I will have examples to add to your letter. I also plan to contact the OIG after 1 September. Good luck and have a safe trip. Don

              Visit our website at www.aedtogo.org or make your tax deductible contribution to: Hope through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Janice Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
                Jan Williams

> [...]
                >> Target who charged $80 for the pills, yet work comp only paid
                > around
                >> $73 for the med).
                >>
                >> - There is no set procedure for filing an appeal. Yes, you can
                >> resubmit with a letter, but they never clearly state why it has
                > been
                >> rejected and what you can do so that you can be paid.
                >>
                >> Those are the examples I could think of off the top of my head
                > that
                >> I have dealt with. I'm sure I could come with many more, given
                > more
                >> time. I will gladly have my name attached to this letter. It is
                >> nice to know that I am not alone in my frustrations, though I'm
                > very
                >> sorry that all you are going through this too...it's just no fun!
                >>
                >> My info for the letter: I am from Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

                This sounds good to me , too. Jan Williams