Thoughts on the letter

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
      I've been thinking a lot about the letter and it seems as
      though my thoughts on this subject are somewhat different
      from those of others, as my experience with the OWCP has
      been different. I'll just throw in my two cents here. It
      seems to me that there are two problems with sending Peace
      Corps volunteers to VA hospitals. The first is that the
      VA doesn't have enough money for veterans, which means
      that volunteers would be getting even worse care. (There
      is a story on this at:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062301888.html)
      Secondly, at least in my case, the last thing I would want
      to do would be to see doctors associated with the
      military, since the military, just like the Peace Corps,
      denies that Mefloquine causes any dangerous side-effects.
      The OWCP has been willing to listen to my case because
      they have no preconceptions and no agenda concerning
      Mefloquine. The VA and the Peace Corps do, and I believe
      that they would bully me as they have so many others into
      dropping my case. In my opinion, it would be better to
      push for the Peace Corps to clean up its act when it comes
      to volunteers who are injured in country. When I was in
      country, I watched another volunteer suffer for months
      while the Peace Corps said that according to her x-rays
      nothing could be wrong with her. In my case, some people
      within the Peace Corps were willing to admit that they
      knew of lots of adverse reactions that lasted long after
      the volunteer stopped taking the medication, but no doctor
      was willing to admit this. Despite the warnings of the
      FDA, they continue to deny that Mefloquine causes
      problems, leaving all the volunteers who suffer high and
      dry.
      This is, of course, just my opinion. I understand that
      other people have had completely different experiences and
      don't want to imply that I alone am right. These are just
      my thoughts. I hope they will be helpful.
      -- Felicia
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
        Felicia,

        I hope that I didn't confuse you or anyone else. The letter to which
        you are referring was written by an RPCV named Reeder. It is NOT the
        letter that we are thinking of sending as a group. (Our letter can
        be found in the Files area.)

        I do not advocate having the V.A. provide services to RPCVs although
        I must admit that it's a novel idea. I was interested in Mr.
        Reeder's letter for several reasons, not the least of which is that I
        keep finding more of us who are dealing with the inadequate service
        that we receive from Peace Corps and OWCP, plus I was curious what
        kind of response he got from the Congressmen to whom he directed his
        letter.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
          I would have sworn that the comment about the VA was in
          the subcommittee letter. Sorry! -- Felicia

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
            Felicia,

            Have you read the subcommittee letter? If so, I'd appreciate any
            comments that you may have. Also, are you interested in and/or willing
            to sign the letter? Thanks.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
              I have read the subcommittee letter. My main concern is
              that it doesn't reflect my case that much. I haven't had
              that much trouble with the OWCP. My problems have all
              been with the Peace Corps' lack of desire to help Lariam
              sufferers or even return calls from my OWCP-assigned
              nurse. When did you want to send the letter out? I'll
              have to read the letter again. -- Felicia

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
                Fair enough. If the letter doesn't fit your situation and you're not
                comfortable signing it, that's cool. I did mention PCMO, but you're
                right that the main target is OWCP. Read the letter again at your
                leisure and let me know. I doubt that I'll even attempt a rewrite
                until the week of July 11.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                  Do you think that everyone knows who the PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Office) is? I know that I had major problems with them in the early years and that many of our problems begin due to lack of support by the Peace Corps. Maybe it is just that many of us have moved on to where we are now stuck with OWCP. But perhaps the PCMO needs an additional line to further explain where they let us down? Just a  thought.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                    I totally agree with that. I had to deal with all kinds
                    of BS from them. Also, does the letter explain what PCMO
                    means? I didn't remember seeing it and Peace Corps
                    abbreviations are notoriously difficult for outsiders. --
                    Felicia

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
                      I assume that people in this group either know what PCMO is or will ask.

                      In the letter, however, I made no such assumption. I tried to use the
                      full name of agencies at least once before referring to them by
                      abbreviation. If I slipped up, please let me know.

                      Kevin

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
                        Nancy and Felicia,

                        I'd be happy to add another line about PCMO and how it fails RPCVs.
                        Would you care to take a stab at the wording? I'd appreciate it.