Hello

  • John Caldeira
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20 4:58 AM
      I thought my hassles with OWCP might have been unique, but reading
      this group it appears the norm!

      By way of introduction, my name is John Caldeira and I was PCV in
      Fiji (1985-1987, beekeeping). During my PC service, I had a problem
      that ultimately resulted in my losing a tooth and damage to another.
      My claim is relatively minor, but in 1993 the dental work needed to
      be replaced and it took nearly a year to receive approved payment by
      OWCP.

      My congressional representative was ultimately helpful in getting my
      claim approved, after I sent him a certified letter stating that:
      "the failure of the OWCP to respond to my claim has effectively
      denied me benefits that I am entitled to under current law.".
      His office made an inquiry on my behalf to the Labor Department, and
      approval shortly followed.

      Recently, I had additional expenses on my dental work and found the
      process much improved. My case was reopened with almost no hassle,
      and I received prompt payment. Good service all around. No
      complaints.

      I am certainly no expert on OWCP claims, but I am careful to always
      keep copies of anything submitted or written, and send by certified
      mail if I think it might get 'lost'. Paranoid maybe, but I
      approached the claim process as if I someday might need all the
      documentation to make a legal claim, if it ever came to that.

      Thanks for starting this group. I believe it can be a big benefit to
      those dealing with the claim process.

      John
      http://www.outdoorplace.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 12:36 PM
        John,

        Thanks for joining us and sharing your experiences. I'm glad your dealings
        with OWCP ended on a happy note. That's what I hope for all of us.

        Any claim with OWCP can go sour, but I think people who have chronic illnesses
        or long term disabilities are especially likely to hit snags. I've been
        dealing with OWCP for over 20 years; it's been smooth sailing at times and a
        constant battle at other times. It is particularly bad at present. Is it the
        Boston Office, my claims examiners, the Bush administration ...? I don't know,
        but it seems as if I have more problems during Republican administrations.

        Kevin
        RPCV/Yemen (Health)

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 10:56 PM
          John,

          Just curious about how you found out about our new group?

          I was a PCV in Chile (1980-82) and after returning to the US found I had contracted bovine TB in the lymph nodes along with meningitis and some parasites. Anyway, I was sick for years before getting a diagnosis and am left with ongoing problems and a subsequent autoimmune disease process. I've done numerous congressional investigations through the years, have literally 5 legal size filing cabinets filled with my USDOL correspondence and have been put on the defensive for every bill every step of the way. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes not. But usually it takes nearly 8-9 tries to get each bill paid.

          And yes, always keep copies, always send things certified! But it all gets tiring, expensive and old!

          Thanks for hooking up and keep us posted.

          I am so glad that your claim was reopened without incidence. Was this recently? And are you feeling all right? Stay in touch, okay?

          Best,
          Nancy Tongue
          NYC