Acupuncture

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
      OWCP regulations allow acupuncture if the treatment is likely to
      bring relief. I'm paraphrasing that, but I should have a copy of the
      regs somewhere, which I believe was given to me by a claims examiner
      in the Chicago District Office. You need to obtain prior
      authorization from OWCP/ACS, of course.

      OWCP has always insisted that I either receive acupuncture from an
      M.D. or an L.Ac. who is supervised by an M.D. It's limiting since
      most L.Ac.'s work independently, and many M.D. acupuncturists are
      inadequately trained. If you go with an M.D. who is a member of the
      American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
      (http://www.medicalacupuncture.org), you can rest assured that the
      practitioner has had more than a crash course in acupuncture.

      The Boston District Office has recently informed me that my physician-
      acupuncturist "should" bill OWCP directly rather than have me seek
      reimbursement. I'm assuming that the "should" means that's what OWCP
      prefers but does not absolutely require. We'll see.

      As an aside, I've heard that the 800 number for ACS (at least the one
      for claimants) has been disconnected. Now you have to spend your own
      dime in order to get lousy service.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
        Thanks for the acupuncture information!