Going public v. working within the system

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2005
      There seems to be two camps in this group: one that favors working
      within the system and another that favors going public. I
      personally think that's great. One course of action doesn't
      preclude the other, and trying to effect change on two fronts may be
      the most effective strategy in the long run.

      As I mentioned to Jan, why not invite your media contacts to join
      this group? That will give the investigative journalists a flavor
      for our group, the obstacles that we face individually and together,
      etc. If they see a story here, I'm sure that they will go with it.

      I hesitate to say that I prefer one course of action over the other,
      but I am more comfortable working within the system. I don't want
      to deal with the executive branch any more than possible, but I'm
      prepared to inform the legislative branch of our plight and ask for
      assistance with OWCP.

      A question for those of you who want to go public: Would you be
      willing to look at the letter that I drafted, give me some brief
      feedback, and tell me if you'd be willing to sign it? Thank you.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy" <fourdirect@...> wrote:

      > Dear All (especially Kevin),
      >
      > I am thrilled that you are so energetic and still optimistic and
      we should continue in this vein
      > for now. But, having worked my butt off in the 1980's for change
      and really not getting anywhere,
      > I just feel that the most efficient use of energy is to get this
      out in a public forum. I'd love
      > to get it all on 60 Minutes and when I feel better I will pursue
      what I can in that way. I just
      > can't and don't want to work with the system anymore (except to
      get my bills paid). I guess I am
      > jaded and worn out but still not beaten by them.
      >
      > I did have a woman at NBC who came to ME a couple of years ago and
      wanted to air a piece but she
      > needed some numbers and people beside myself. That was part of the
      reason I wanted to connect and
      > see who else is out here. I think we have numbers and heartrending
      stories and good people who
      > still believe in goodness and moving ahead with our lives.
      >
      > I'm not saying that trying to get systemic change isn't good, I'm
      just weary.

      > Heidi, did you make your New England move? If you're ever
      interested we can phone chat at some
      fourdirect@... if you are

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2005

        Oh, I'd love to see the draft and I'm sure I'd sign it. I think that going the route you're going is well worth it. I'm just tired, that's all.

        Nancy
      • Janice Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2005
          Jan Williams

          > There seems to be two camps in this group: one that favors working
          > within the system and another that favors going public. I
          > personally think that's great. One course of action doesn't
          > preclude the other, and trying to effect change on two fronts may be
          > the most effective strategy in the long run.
          >
          > As I mentioned to Jan, why not invite your media contacts to join
          > this group? That will give the investigative journalists a flavor
          > for our group, the obstacles that we face individually and together,
          > etc. If they see a story here, I'm sure that they will go with it.
          >
          > I hesitate to say that I prefer one course of action over the other,
          > but I am more comfortable working within the system. I don't want
          > to deal with the executive branch any more than possible, but I'm
          > prepared to inform the legislative branch of our plight and ask for
          > assistance with OWCP.
          >
          > A question for those of you who want to go public: Would you be
          > willing to look at the letter that I drafted, give me some brief
          > feedback, and tell me if you'd be willing to sign it? Thank you.
          >
          > Kevin
          >
          > --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy" <fourdirect@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Dear All (especially Kevin),
          >>
          >> I am thrilled that you are so energetic and still optimistic and
          > we should continue in this vein
          >> for now. But, having worked my butt off in the 1980's for change
          > and really not getting anywhere,
          >> I just feel that the most efficient use of energy is to get this
          > out in a public forum. I'd love
          >> to get it all on 60 Minutes and when I feel better I will pursue
          > what I can in that way. I just
          >> can't and don't want to work with the system anymore (except to
          > get my bills paid). I guess I am
          >> jaded and worn out but still not beaten by them.
          >>
          >> I did have a woman at NBC who came to ME a couple of years ago and
          > wanted to air a piece but she
          >> needed some numbers and people beside myself. That was part of the
          > reason I wanted to connect and
          >> see who else is out here. I think we have numbers and heartrending
          > stories and good people who
          >> still believe in goodness and moving ahead with our lives.
          >>
          >> I'm not saying that trying to get systemic change isn't good, I'm
          > just weary.
          >>
          >> Heidi, did you make your New England move? If you're ever
          > interested we can phone chat at some
          >> point about life as we had planed a year ago. My home email is:
          > fourdirect@... if you are
          >> interested.
          >>
          >> Anyway gang, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
          >>
          >> Best to all,
          >> Nancy

          Please send me a copy of the letter. I'm sure I'll agree and sign it.

          Jan