Fw: ACS comment

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
      Another from Nancy ...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
        OWCP regulations allow acupuncture if the treatment is likely to
        bring relief. I'm paraphrasing that, but I should have a copy of the
        regs somewhere, which I believe was given to me by a claims examiner
        in the Chicago District Office. You need to obtain prior
        authorization from OWCP/ACS, of course.

        OWCP has always insisted that I either receive acupuncture from an
        M.D. or an L.Ac. who is supervised by an M.D. It's limiting since
        most L.Ac.'s work independently, and many M.D. acupuncturists are
        inadequately trained. If you go with an M.D. who is a member of the
        American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
        (http://www.medicalacupuncture.org), you can rest assured that the
        practitioner has had more than a crash course in acupuncture.

        The Boston District Office has recently informed me that my physician-
        acupuncturist "should" bill OWCP directly rather than have me seek
        reimbursement. I'm assuming that the "should" means that's what OWCP
        prefers but does not absolutely require. We'll see.

        As an aside, I've heard that the 800 number for ACS (at least the one
        for claimants) has been disconnected. Now you have to spend your own
        dime in order to get lousy service.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
          Thanks for the acupuncture information!