Kevin Quigley's email

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2005
      Subj: Support the Peace Corps Community
      Date: 6/14/2005 8:51:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From: president@...
      To: fourdirect@...
      Dear Nancy,
      I am writing because we need your support.

      Peace Corps service profoundly affects people's lives, especially the lives of those of us who have had the privilege to do it.

      The National Peace Corps Association (NPCA) was set up to promote Peace Corps service and the values of fostering peace and service that it embodies.

      Although we have a long way to go to fully realize the potential inherent in our remarkable community, with your help we have made some real progress:

      * Advocacy.  We have significantly expanded our ability to advocate on behalf of Peace Corps values and to keep our members abreast of issues, including the army's recruiting plans involving an option of Peace Corps service.

      * Global Education.  Through a growing network, we keep young Americans informed about the dynamic and complex world we live in by enabling educators to bring accurate and meaningful resources to the classroom.

      * Publications.  To provide you more timely information, we shifted to a monthly electronic newsletter.  WorldView magazine has begun special issues on key human development issues, such as AIDS.

      * Recognition.  We are working to enhance the profile of our Sargent Shriver and Loret Miller Ruppe awards to better recognize exemplars of members who embody the values of fostering peace and promoting service.

      To do this and the many more things we aspire to do leading up to the upcoming 50th anniversary of Peace Corps requires resources.  Our membership dues only provide 16 percent of our needs. Please give what you can.  You can contribute at https://www.npcaonline.org/npcassa/ssaauthmain.login_page.  Log in using your personal login provided below and click on "contribute".  We will put your donation to good use.

      Gratefully,

      Kevin F. F. Quigley
      President
      Thailand 1976-79
      __________________________________
      Subj: disabled RPCV
      Date: 6/14/2005
      To: president@...

      Hello,

      I received your email stating that you need my support.

      Sadly, I have needed the support of the RPCV community for years to help me obtain guidance and help for a Peace Corps related illness that has nearly destroyed my life. The physical pain and suffering I have endured have paled in comparison with the suffering I have endured fighting for my rights with the US Dept of Labor while the Peace Corps has done nothing to help ill or disabled returned Peace Corps Volunteers.

      I have solicited the help of your office for years, also to no avail. I hope that you, as a relatively new president have goals greater than your predecessors.

      Sincerely,
      Nancy E. Tongue
      Chile 1980-81
      238 E. 95th St. 8B
      New York, NY 10128
      Subj: RE: disabled RPCV
      Date: 6/15/2005 12:04:49 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From: kevin@...
      To: FourDirect@...

      Thank you for your email.  I am sorry for your illness and that we haven’t been very helpful.  It is very difficult for us to work on individual cases.  Instead, we have been pressing Peace Corps on system issues, e.g. working with Congress to legislate an office of ombudsman so that RPCVs like you have a place to go to address your issues because we know DoL is unresponsive.  Kevin Q.
      __________________________________-

      Given his response, we should keep him informed, I think.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2005

        I agree, especially since the goals of this Yahoo! group also
        include system-wide change.

        The ball is in his court since I have invited him to join our
        group. I will not subscribe him to this group without his
        permission, however.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2005

          A couple of asides to message 161:

          In addition to inviting Mr. Quigley, I have forwarded a couple of
          messages from this Yahoo! Group to him so that he can see for himself
          that several of us would like him to join and participate. I'm trying
          to be persuasive without being obnoxious (I know I don't like having
          my inbox cluttered with unwanted emails).

          If NPCA were to actively pursue the issue of poor service that we
          receive from PCMO, OWCP, ACS, etc., then I would probably rejoin the
          association. I didn't let my membership lapse over workers'
          compensation issues, but having some help in that arena would be a
          tangible enough benefit for me to reach for my checkbook.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2005

            So glad that you have sent KQ some of our emails.