Re: Letter from the Office of the Inspector General of the Peace Corps

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
      Jan,

      Thanks for speaking up. I don't think there is one right way to
      approach the problem. Going public, which you and Nancy seem to
      favor, is one way. Working through the channels, as you put it, is
      another. It should be noted, however, that I'm looking at channels
      outside the executive branch, which is why I haven't contacted the PC
      Director or the President. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if we can
      get our legislators, and particularly their auditing arm (i.e., the
      GAO), to put some pressure on the Department of Labor and Peace
      Corps, I believe we can get some action. Nothing I've said should
      discourage anyone from contacting Oprah, 60 minutes, or NBC news.
      Action on multiple fronts can be very effective.

      Kevin

      P.S. If someone wants to take the lead in inviting members of the
      media to visit this forum, I'm all for it. There are stories here,
      but whether they're newsworthy or would have broad public appeal is
      for the media to decide.

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Janice Williams <therifi@m...> wrote:
      > Kevin
      > Why don't youi send the president copies of your e-mail? Seems he
      needs a
      > good dose of reality. Why doesn't Peace Corps support us? I'm
      still unable
      > to be ccepted by PC as blind in my left eye due to Peace Corps
      service.
      > Personally I would prefer to see you contact Oprah or 60
      Minutes. I
      > don't think working through channels will be effective in the end.
      There is