Re: [owcp] Re: Letter from the Office of the Inspector General of the Peace Corps

  • Janice Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
      Why don't youi send the president copies of your e-mail? Seems he needs a
      good dose of reality. Why doesn't Peace Corps support us? I'm still unable
      to be ccepted by PC as blind in my left eye due to Peace Corps service.
      Personally I would prefer to see you contact Oprah or 60 Minutes. I
      don't think working through channels will be effective in the end. There is
      always more red tape.

      Jan Williams

> [...]
      > Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez opposed the legislation that
      > would have created the Ombusdman position that Nancy told us about
      > several months ago.
      >
      > Some other thoughts:
      >
      > I agree that the investigation is very one-sided. However, the OIG
      > of Peace Corps probably lacks the jurisdiction to investigate waste,
      > abuse, fraud, etc. within OWCP. We, individually or as a group,
      > however, have the right to ask Congress to order a GAO investigation
      > of OWCP. I'm beginning to think that my petition idea might be
      > morphing in that direction. The House Committee that oversees the
      > Department of Labor seems sympathetic to federal workers'
      > compensations claimants, so I think a request for a such an
      > investigation would be well received by the Committee. If we could
      > get RPCVs from 10 different states to sign a letter to that House
      > Committee and we cc'd the letter to the corresponding Senate
      > Committee and each of the RPCVs' Senators and Congressmen, then the
      > letter would be in the hands of a sizeable number of our elected
      > representatives. Whether or not that would reach the critical mass
      > needed for action remains to be seen. I'd be willing to take a stab
      > at a draft letter if people think it's a good idea.
      >
      > Personally I have no major problem with the OIG's investigation as
      > long as it doesn't become unduly burdensome for RPCVs. If, in fact,
      > there are people who are abusing the system, then they should be
      > stopped. However, I do have some concerns as well: I don't like
      > people feeling intimidated by the OIG. I don't want the
      > investigation to result in our having to provide additional and/or
      > repetitive medical documentation. (I feel that my OWCP file
      > contains current and adequate documentation to support my claim.) I
      > hope the OIG did a cost benefit analysis beforehand to demonstrate
      > that the investigation is likely to be cost effective (i.e., the
      > amounts recovered will exceed the cost of the investigation). It is
      > too bad that the OIG feels that it has to conduct the
      > investigation. If OWCP were doing its job, it would be able to stop
      > the scofflaws without Peace Corps intervention.
      >
      > Kevin
      >

      > --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Fassnacht <riverock5@y...> wrote:
      >> Kevin,
      >>
      >> I got the exact same letter. Personally, I found the
      >> letter somewhat intimidating. It is bad enough to get
      >> the letters from DOL that feel threatening, but to get
      >> one like this from Peace Corps made me mad. Isn't
      >> anyone looking out for *our* interests? I think what
      >> the OIG is looking to do is reasonable, but given how
      >> one sided this whole struggle seems, I feel very
      >> frustrated that this 'investigation' seems to be
      >> equally one sided. I find it insulting given how many
      >> of us have had to deal with all of DOL's nonsense that
      >> they didn't say they were looking into if the system
      >> were working well for us, like you mentioned.

      Dear Janice,

      I am writing because we need your support.

      Peace Corps service profoundly affects people's lives, especially the lives
      of those of us who have had the privilege to do it.

      The National Peace Corps Association (NPCA) was set up to promote Peace
      Corps service and the values of fostering peace and service that it
      embodies.

      Although we have a long way to go to fully realize the potential inherent in
      our remarkable community, with your help we have made some real progress:

      * Advocacy. We have significantly expanded our ability to advocate on
      behalf of Peace Corps values and to keep our members abreast of issues,
      including the army's recruiting plans involving an option of Peace Corps
      service.

      * Global Education. Through a growing network, we keep young Americans
      informed about the dynamic and complex world we live in by enabling
      educators to bring accurate and meaningful resources to the classroom.

      * Publications. To provide you more timely information, we shifted to a
      monthly electronic newsletter. WorldView magazine has begun special issues
      on key human development issues, such as AIDS.

      * Recognition. We are working to enhance the profile of our Sargent Shriver
      and Loret Miller Ruppe awards to better recognize exemplars of members who
      embody the values of fostering peace and promoting service.

      To do this and the many more things we aspire to do leading up to the
      upcoming 50th anniversary of Peace Corps requires resources. Our membership
      dues only provide 16 percent of our needs. Please give what you can. You
      can contribute at https://www.npcaonline.org/npcassa/ssaauthmain.login_page.
      Log in using your personal login provided below and click on "contribute".
      We will put your donation to good use.

      Gratefully,

      Kevin F. F. Quigley

      President
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
        Jan,

        Thanks for speaking up. I don't think there is one right way to
        approach the problem. Going public, which you and Nancy seem to
        favor, is one way. Working through the channels, as you put it, is
        another. It should be noted, however, that I'm looking at channels
        outside the executive branch, which is why I haven't contacted the PC
        Director or the President. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if we can
        get our legislators, and particularly their auditing arm (i.e., the
        GAO), to put some pressure on the Department of Labor and Peace
        Corps, I believe we can get some action. Nothing I've said should
        discourage anyone from contacting Oprah, 60 minutes, or NBC news.
        Action on multiple fronts can be very effective.

        Kevin

        P.S. If someone wants to take the lead in inviting members of the
        media to visit this forum, I'm all for it. There are stories here,
        but whether they're newsworthy or would have broad public appeal is
        for the media to decide.