Re: [owcp] OIG's nasty gram and inefficient bureaucracy

  • Heidi Fassnacht
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2005
      Welcome Chris!

      Your point about the intimidation factor of a
      registered letter was right on. I forgot to mention
      that in my last e-mail, but I know I certainly picked
      up on that. I couldn't imagine why I'd be getting a
      registered letter from PC. I suppose it would have
      been worse if it were from the DOL.

      I feel my case is justified, but I had a lot of
      problems with my doctor and do not feel my case is as
      well supported on paper as it might have been (by an
      MD anyway, since OWCP doesn't seem to care what my PT
      or chiro have to say, even though they see me much
      more often). So, I am a little nervous that if
      someone decides to review my case, it's going to be
      the whole battle all over again. I don't know if I
      have the energy for that.

      Nancy - hang in there!

      Kevin - I think you're idea for the direction of your
      petition is sounding good. If you would like to make
      up a draft, I think that would be great. If you want
      someone to look it over before you send it out for
      further comment, or if you want help drafting it, let
      me know.

      Heidi

      "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
    • Janice Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2005
        Jan Williams

        > Chris,
        >
        > Welcome!
        >
        > As you know, I have been planting "seeds" all over the Internet
        > trying to attract more affected RPCVs to this group. (For the
        > record, the group was Nancy's brain child; I've just provided some
        > technical know-how and elbow grease.)
        >
        > I think that we, as a group, should do something about OWCP and its
        > contractor ACS/Lockheed. What that is, I'm not sure. If you've got
        > any ideas, please speak up. One purpose of this group is to
        > brainstorm potential strategies, solutions, etc. I think that we
        > might want to do something about the OIG letter/investigation, too,
        > and those actions could conceivably be a springboard toward more
        > global action.
        >
        > You mentioned that you have someone at OWCP "who's job it is to fix
        > problems" advocating for you. How did you find this person? Is it
        > someone in the District office, or in Washington, DC, or elsewhere?
        > I recently found a sympathetic ear in DC, but I'm not sure if it was
        > her or 3 Congressional inquiries in the course of a week that got the
        > attention of OWCP!
        >
        > Looking forward to hearing more from you.
        >
        > Kevin
        >
        > --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Starace" <cstarace@y...> wrote:
        >> Hi Kevin,
        >>
        >> I too was very offended by the letter. First of all, there is no
        >> reason to send it registered mail other than to intimidate. Almost
        >> no one sends
        >> registered mail out of the blue. I had to make a special trip to
        > the
        >> post
        >> office and all I could think was that I was getting audited by the
        >> IRS. I
        >> agree that the letter was intimidating, just reminding us how much
        > the
        >> program costs, how abusers of the system will be prosecuted and how
        >> we are
        >> to "cooperate with criminal investigator1s." I'm angry about it as
        >> I'm sure you
        >> are.
        >>
        >> In addition, dealing with ACS is driving me nuts. Before I
        >> had no problem getting claims reimbursed but now there's another
        >> thick layer
        >> of inefficient bureaucracy and it takes forever. I've been waiting
        >> for 3
        >> months now to get a new hearing aid. I think finally now that
        >> someone at DOL who's job it is to fix problems is helping me, I'm
        >> finally getting closer to receiving it.
        >>
        >> Let me know how I can help to improve our level of service and
        >> respect.
        >>
        >> Sincerely,
        >>
        >> Chris
        >> Benin- Smalll Business Developent
        >> 95-97
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Please add Kevin F. F. Quigley at president@... to the group. He just
        sent a letter asking us to support NPCA. Let's ask him to support us.
        Advocacy is one of their goals.

        Jan Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2005
          Jan,

          I just sent Mr. Quigley an invitation to join our group, togehter with
          a copy of your email.

          Kevin

          Please add Kevin F. F. Quigley at president@r... to the group. He just