Re: ACS or Lockheed Martin?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2005
      Heidi,

      The petition is in my head--so far. I was just testing the waters.
      The petition is morphing as we speak, mainly because you and Nancy
      seem to be having better luck with ACS/Lockheed than with OWCP.

      I got a call from a claims examiner supervisor in the Boston Area
      Office last week. I think three Congressional inquiries in one week-
      -both of my Senators contacted Boston and my Congressman contacted
      Washington--forced the gopher out of her hole, so to speak. She was
      surly, generally unhelpful, but she approved some of the outstanding
      reimbursements. It is clear, though, that getting the rest of the
      money owed me is going to be quite a battle. When she got through
      with me, she called my Congressional office and fought with my case
      worker. To paraphrase my case worker, "She called me a liar and I
      called her one, and then we both hung up."

      It's obvious that OWCP doesn't think that it has to follow anyone's
      rules, even its own. I made the argument that OWCP is obligated to
      reimburse me because 1. I had prior authorization, 2. my doctor
      provided a proper bill, and 3. the amounts billed did not exceed the
      fee schedule. Her reply, and again I'm paraphrasing, "We don't have
      to pay anything that we don't want to pay." Another lovely
      encounter!

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Fassnacht <riverock5@y...> wrote:
      > kevin,
      >
      > thanks for the info. good to know from someone what
      > is going on.
      >
      > as for your response to me - i see your point. i
      > didn't realize that ACS wasn't accountable to anyone
      > (that is the govt). that's crazy since it is doing
      > the govt's business. i guess i just don't want to go
      > back to how things were before but keeping ACS (or
      > Lockheed) isn't the answer. making the DOL honest,
      > efficient, responsible and accountable would be the
      > best. does your petition follow up it's demand to get
      > rid of ACS with a demand that the DOL do it's job?
      > how does one look at this petition? or were you just
      > getting a feel for interest
      >
      > thanks for keeping the conversation going...
      >
      > heidi
      >
      > "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we
      create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2005

        I congratulate you for standing up! I'm not saying that any of this really works. And naturally, today there was a message on my machine from Senator Schumer's office saying that they were still having trouble getting retroactive approval for a physical therapy series of treatments from Dec-April. It was already pre-approved so here I go again.... I spoke too soon the other day....

        Hey, down the road I'd be happy to get back in touch with the NBC correspondent who actually contacted me a couple of years ago about doing a story about RPCV's and all this OWCP nonsense and headaches we endure. I couldn't follow up back then because I was really sick and just in survival mode but I'd be interested to try to work on that again in a couple of months if we can get a group together. At the time she said that she'd like to have a handful of really legitimate people with tough struggles who had hit repeated walls.

        Anyway Kevin, I hadn't known about the Lockheed buyout but it just doesn't surprise me one bit.

        Heidi, how are you doing and how has your move worked out? I miss everyone.