Office of Inspector General - US Dept. of Labor

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2005
      There is some interesting reading at the Office of Inspector General
      website (http://www.oig.dol.gov).

      Please note that customer complaints can be addressed to the OIG
      Hotline. Complaints can be made by phone at 800-347-3756 or by
      email at hotline@...

      Customer service is being monitored by the OIG, as evidenced by the
      May 13, 2004 testimony of Elliot Lewis, Assistant Inspector General
      for Audit, to a House subcommittee. Part of his testimony follows:

      "Our 1999 evaluation of OWCP's FECA customer service surveys
      revealed the existence of methodological flaws in several areas,
      including survey design, measurement of customer service, sampling,
      response rate, and survey operations. As a result, we made a number
      of recommendations to enhance the accuracy of the data by improving
      the survey methodology and thus helping OWCP judge and improve the
      quality of customer service provided. The agency agreed with most of
      our recommendations and incorporated them in its subsequent survey.
      However, OWCP has conducted no written survey since 2000, focusing
      instead on telephone surveys.

      "A 2002 OIG report on FECA performance measures recommended, and the
      Department agreed, to establish a performance goal for customer
      satisfaction. We are looking at the Department's implementation of
      our recommendation as part of our current evaluation of FECA
      customer service, which I will address in a moment...

      "[Because of] hotline complaints received and as a follow-up to our
      past work, we have several current work projects underway in the
      FECA program:

      "Customer Service Evaluation – In this on-going review we are
      evaluating OWCP's handling of claimant complaints of poor customer
      service. Our objectives are to determine:

      "The extent to which one OWCP district office responded to and
      resolved complaints; If employing agencies are satisfied with OWCP
      customer service; and If OWCP telephone surveys provide an adequate
      indication of customer satisfaction..."