ACS or Lockheed Martin?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2005
      From:
      http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/18_10/federal/21490-1.html

      08/18/03; Vol. 18 No. 10

      Lockheed Martin, ACS trade IT units

      By Gail Repsher Emery

      The swap of information technology units between Lockheed Martin
      Corp. and Affiliated Computer Services Inc. makes perfect sense for
      each company, according to industry analysts. The two firms
      announced Aug. 1 that Lockheed Martin would acquire ACS' federal
      government IT business, and ACS would acquire Lockheed Martin's
      commercial IT business.

      "Each company is strengthening its core business and divesting
      business they each have less of a focus on," said Jerry Grossman,
      managing director at the investment banking firm Houlihan Lokey
      Howard & Zukin in McLean, Va.

      Most of Lockheed Martin's business is already in federal IT. ACS'
      business is growing most quickly in the commercial and state and
      local government markets.

      Bethesda, Md.-based Lockheed Martin will pay about $658 million for
      most of ACS' federal business, including $70 million payable
      pursuant to a five-year noncompete agreement. Dallas-based ACS will
      pay about $107 million for Lockheed Martin's commercial IT business.
      The net value of the deal is $551 million to ACS.

      The boards of directors of both companies approved the transactions.
      They are now subject to government approvals and should close in the
      fourth quarter of 2003, according to the companies.
    • Heidi Fassnacht
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2005
        kevin,

        thanks for the info. good to know from someone what
        is going on.

        as for your response to me - i see your point. i
        didn't realize that ACS wasn't accountable to anyone
        (that is the govt). that's crazy since it is doing
        the govt's business. i guess i just don't want to go
        back to how things were before but keeping ACS (or
        Lockheed) isn't the answer. making the DOL honest,
        efficient, responsible and accountable would be the
        best. does your petition follow up it's demand to get
        rid of ACS with a demand that the DOL do it's job?
        how does one look at this petition? or were you just
        getting a feel for interest

        thanks for keeping the conversation going...

        heidi

        "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2005
          Kevin and Heidi,

          I'm in the midst of exams - going back to school to change my career because of my Peace Corps illness but in another week I'd like to respond to what you guys are dialoging about. Just quickly I will add that I've had much more success with ACS, knowing full well that no one is accountable but I find them easier to "manipulate" because of the lack of accountability. It is all so very corrupt, isn't it? And sad that I have to say that I can manipulate them when in reality we are all owed so much and shouldn't have to worry about making the system work. But, for my own personal stuff at the moment I have figured out exactly (well, mostly) what they need, what codes, etc... and I get it out and then it goes right on through. Well, nothing ever goes right through but I mean by the 11th attempt or so. I've had the opposite experience from you, Kevin in that if ACS says okay then OWCP seems to put things through and vice versa.

          I just know that every change in the methods and mgt. causes about a 2-3 year disruption for me, as I then have to figure out a whole new game that has no instruction manual. By the time I have deduced the formula, the whole thing has changed. So, the only reason I can tolerate ACS right now is that after 2 years I seem to know how to "work it." And Kevin, I actually thought that they had a two year contract but two years seem to be up so I'm perplexed. I really still think we all need to go public with all of this.

          I'm also very lucky, finally, in having Senator Schumer (US Senator-D) in NY who has come to my aid. And even with ACS I still often have to send my medical requests, Rx requests, treatment requests and all that for authorization and reauthorization to the Senate and have his office submit stuff. THEN ACS puts things through. So, I am not saying that any of it really works because nothing since I got sick from the Peace Corps has ever worked. I could actually move my life forward if I weren't always fighting to get the benefits I deserve and need to heal. I know you all know.

          More soon,
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2005
            Heidi,

            The petition is in my head--so far. I was just testing the waters.
            The petition is morphing as we speak, mainly because you and Nancy
            seem to be having better luck with ACS/Lockheed than with OWCP.

            I got a call from a claims examiner supervisor in the Boston Area
            Office last week. I think three Congressional inquiries in one week-
            -both of my Senators contacted Boston and my Congressman contacted
            Washington--forced the gopher out of her hole, so to speak. She was
            surly, generally unhelpful, but she approved some of the outstanding
            reimbursements. It is clear, though, that getting the rest of the
            money owed me is going to be quite a battle. When she got through
            with me, she called my Congressional office and fought with my case
            worker. To paraphrase my case worker, "She called me a liar and I
            called her one, and then we both hung up."

            It's obvious that OWCP doesn't think that it has to follow anyone's
            rules, even its own. I made the argument that OWCP is obligated to
            reimburse me because 1. I had prior authorization, 2. my doctor
            provided a proper bill, and 3. the amounts billed did not exceed the
            fee schedule. Her reply, and again I'm paraphrasing, "We don't have
            to pay anything that we don't want to pay." Another lovely
            encounter!

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2005

              I congratulate you for standing up! I'm not saying that any of this really works. And naturally, today there was a message on my machine from Senator Schumer's office saying that they were still having trouble getting retroactive approval for a physical therapy series of treatments from Dec-April. It was already pre-approved so here I go again.... I spoke too soon the other day....

              Hey, down the road I'd be happy to get back in touch with the NBC correspondent who actually contacted me a couple of years ago about doing a story about RPCV's and all this OWCP nonsense and headaches we endure. I couldn't follow up back then because I was really sick and just in survival mode but I'd be interested to try to work on that again in a couple of months if we can get a group together. At the time she said that she'd like to have a handful of really legitimate people with tough struggles who had hit repeated walls.

              Anyway Kevin, I hadn't known about the Lockheed buyout but it just doesn't surprise me one bit.

              Heidi, how are you doing and how has your move worked out? I miss everyone.