Re: [owcp] Hello ...

  • Heidi Fassnacht
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2005
      hello kevin, nancy, pat (!!), and anyone else who
      might be out there,

      i'm sorry to hear about your continued difficulties
      kevin. i know how exasperating it can be, except your
      situation is compounded by decades of dealing with
      this. sorry too pat that it took so long for you to
      just have to pay things on your own. it's good to
      hear from you! nancy, happy belated birthday and
      congrats on your breakthrough with OWCP.

      i've recently had a breakthrough too, getting my
      medical bills reimbursed for most of 2003. i used to
      get approval of my medical appts through my OWCP case
      worker. in sept 2003 when i called OWCP to check up
      on the status of approval for more care (since they
      never call you) i was told i must go through ACS. ACS
      told me i needed prior authorization. so i went that
      route, getting retro active authorization. (i never
      stop going to my care providers waiting for OWCP or
      ACS to get things sorted out. i can't wait that
      long.) after having to send a 20 page fax multiple
      times, and many phone calls, i finally got
      authorization. it's probably taken me around a year
      to get this paid even though it was authorized. they
      came up with every excuse possible, and when it seemed
      they ran out of those, they tried the 'denied for
      untimely filing' one. if they didn't do something
      about that, i was going to get my congressperson
      involved. luckily i didn't have to do that this time,
      but i have before. all i did was keep calling them
      back, call them on the obvious (this page should have
      been on top, not second from the top), and do what
      they suggested (you need to file for change of
      provider for your authorization).

      kevin, although i agree that OWCP and ACS are like
      scapegoats for each other, i have found that although
      there are many problems with ACS, i have had better
      luck with them than with a number of my OWCP case
      workers. the second to last one never called me back
      and she was almost never in when i called. you can't
      deal with someone when you can never talk with them.
      it was exasperating and demoralizing. although you
      never talk to the same person twice at ACS, and they
      don't usually do what they say they will, and so on, I
      would be a little reluctant to get rid of them all
      together. perhaps something could be worked out where
      the lines of responsibility were clearly defined
      between the two (OWCP and ACS), among other things.
      anyway, we could get together some time and talk about
      this more if you like. but i'd best get back to work.

      hang in there!

      heidi

      "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

      Yahoo! Mail
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2005
        Heidi,

        Thanks for your note.

        It's interesting that your dealings with ACS have been very
        different than mine. From my perspective, it seems that ACS does
        nothing except enter data, push paper, etc. for OWCP. ACS acts only
        when OWCP instructs it to do so. ACS has a "Prior Authorizations
        Department" but I don't believe it does any authorizing at all. It
        assigns an authorization number, enters CPT codes, determines dates
        of services, and then waits for OWCP to give the go ahead. Despite
        the fact that I have an authorization number and the dates of
        service have been determined to be 11/3/04 to 11/3/05, I cannot
        proceed with treatment because OWCP has not authorized the
        authorization. OWCP says ACS is in charge of authorizations, and
        ACS says " ... authorization cannot be approved at this time
        [because]OWCP has determined that further medical development is
        needed ..." Catch 22!

        Congresspersons and Senators won't deal with ACS because it is a
        contractor and not a federal agency. As long as ACS only has to
        answer to OWCP, it has no incentive to be responsive to claimants.
        I suspect ACS is a willing scapegoat because OWCP is writing the
        checks. I think ACS has to go because it has become a de facto
        federal bureaucracy that operates without proper oversight.

        Kevin

        P.S. Nancy: Do you know when the contract between OWCP and ACS
        expires?