Re: [owcp] Re: Hello ...

    Message 1 of 9 , May 11 6:00 PM

      I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get my checks sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been able to easily mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that my medical bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly temp income out there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now finally have direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!

      Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can dialog with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does help to have Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my healthcare providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on and on and on and on. 20 years for me, too.

      Nancy
      New York
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12 5:39 AM

        I firmly believe that having a Democratic Senator or Congressperson
        helps. The Democrats have always been more willing to go to bat for
        me, especially when dealing with a Republican administration.
        Unfortunately, my Congressman and both of my Senators are
        Republicans. Maybe I should move across the border to Vermont! The
        caseworkers that I've had recently haven't been very assertive, and
        I often feel that I have to nudge them as much as I've had to nudge
        the Dept. of Labor.

        I've recently enlisted the aid of Senators Sununu and Gregg to
        assist Congressman Bass on my behalf. Hopefully, getting requests
        from three congressional offices will get the attention of OWCP. I
        also spoke with an OWCP "tech person" in Washington, DC about a week
        ago. She seemed empathetic and genuinely nice, so hopefully she can
        navigate the bureaucracy better than outsiders can. We'll see.

        Kevin

        --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@a... wrote:
        > Kevin,
        >
        > I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get
        my checks
        > sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been
        able to easily
        > mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that
        my medical
        > bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly
        temp income out
        > there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now
        finally have
        > direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!
        >
        > Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can
        dialog
        > with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does
        help to have
        > Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my
        healthcare
        > providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on
        and on and on and on.
        > 20 years for me, too.
        >
        > Nancy
        > New York
      • Heidi Fassnacht
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12 10:29 AM
          hello kevin, nancy, pat (!!), and anyone else who
          might be out there,

          i'm sorry to hear about your continued difficulties
          kevin. i know how exasperating it can be, except your
          situation is compounded by decades of dealing with
          this. sorry too pat that it took so long for you to
          just have to pay things on your own. it's good to
          hear from you! nancy, happy belated birthday and
          congrats on your breakthrough with OWCP.

          i've recently had a breakthrough too, getting my
          medical bills reimbursed for most of 2003. i used to
          get approval of my medical appts through my OWCP case
          worker. in sept 2003 when i called OWCP to check up
          on the status of approval for more care (since they
          never call you) i was told i must go through ACS. ACS
          told me i needed prior authorization. so i went that
          route, getting retro active authorization. (i never
          stop going to my care providers waiting for OWCP or
          ACS to get things sorted out. i can't wait that
          long.) after having to send a 20 page fax multiple
          times, and many phone calls, i finally got
          authorization. it's probably taken me around a year
          to get this paid even though it was authorized. they
          came up with every excuse possible, and when it seemed
          they ran out of those, they tried the 'denied for
          untimely filing' one. if they didn't do something
          about that, i was going to get my congressperson
          involved. luckily i didn't have to do that this time,
          but i have before. all i did was keep calling them
          back, call them on the obvious (this page should have
          been on top, not second from the top), and do what
          they suggested (you need to file for change of
          provider for your authorization).

          kevin, although i agree that OWCP and ACS are like
          scapegoats for each other, i have found that although
          there are many problems with ACS, i have had better
          luck with them than with a number of my OWCP case
          workers. the second to last one never called me back
          and she was almost never in when i called. you can't
          deal with someone when you can never talk with them.
          it was exasperating and demoralizing. although you
          never talk to the same person twice at ACS, and they
          don't usually do what they say they will, and so on, I
          would be a little reluctant to get rid of them all
          together. perhaps something could be worked out where
          the lines of responsibility were clearly defined
          between the two (OWCP and ACS), among other things.
          anyway, we could get together some time and talk about
          this more if you like. but i'd best get back to work.

          hang in there!

          heidi

          "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

          Yahoo! Mail
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13 5:51 AM
            Heidi,

            Thanks for your note.

            It's interesting that your dealings with ACS have been very
            different than mine. From my perspective, it seems that ACS does
            nothing except enter data, push paper, etc. for OWCP. ACS acts only
            when OWCP instructs it to do so. ACS has a "Prior Authorizations
            Department" but I don't believe it does any authorizing at all. It
            assigns an authorization number, enters CPT codes, determines dates
            of services, and then waits for OWCP to give the go ahead. Despite
            the fact that I have an authorization number and the dates of
            service have been determined to be 11/3/04 to 11/3/05, I cannot
            proceed with treatment because OWCP has not authorized the
            authorization. OWCP says ACS is in charge of authorizations, and
            ACS says " ... authorization cannot be approved at this time
            [because]OWCP has determined that further medical development is
            needed ..." Catch 22!

            Congresspersons and Senators won't deal with ACS because it is a
            contractor and not a federal agency. As long as ACS only has to
            answer to OWCP, it has no incentive to be responsive to claimants.
            I suspect ACS is a willing scapegoat because OWCP is writing the
            checks. I think ACS has to go because it has become a de facto
            federal bureaucracy that operates without proper oversight.

            Kevin

            P.S. Nancy: Do you know when the contract between OWCP and ACS
            expires?