Re: Hello ...

    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2005
      Hi Nancy, and happy belated birthday.

      I'd love to hear about your successes and how you brought them about.
      I sure hope that your experiences will help others in dealing with the
      OWCP bureaucracy.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2005
        Kevin,

        I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get my checks sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been able to easily mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that my medical bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly temp income out there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now finally have direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!

        Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can dialog with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does help to have Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my healthcare providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on and on and on and on. 20 years for me, too.

        Nancy
        New York
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2005
          Nancy,

          I firmly believe that having a Democratic Senator or Congressperson
          helps. The Democrats have always been more willing to go to bat for
          me, especially when dealing with a Republican administration.
          Unfortunately, my Congressman and both of my Senators are
          Republicans. Maybe I should move across the border to Vermont! The
          caseworkers that I've had recently haven't been very assertive, and
          I often feel that I have to nudge them as much as I've had to nudge
          the Dept. of Labor.

          I've recently enlisted the aid of Senators Sununu and Gregg to
          assist Congressman Bass on my behalf. Hopefully, getting requests
          from three congressional offices will get the attention of OWCP. I
          also spoke with an OWCP "tech person" in Washington, DC about a week
          ago. She seemed empathetic and genuinely nice, so hopefully she can
          navigate the bureaucracy better than outsiders can. We'll see.

          Kevin

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@a... wrote:
          > Kevin,
          >
          > I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get
          my checks
          > sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been
          able to easily
          > mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that
          my medical
          > bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly
          temp income out
          > there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now
          finally have
          > direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!
          >
          > Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can
          dialog
          > with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does
          help to have
          > Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my
          healthcare
          > providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on
          and on and on and on.
          > 20 years for me, too.
          >
          > Nancy
          > New York
        • Heidi Fassnacht
          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2005
            hello kevin, nancy, pat (!!), and anyone else who
            might be out there,

            i'm sorry to hear about your continued difficulties
            kevin. i know how exasperating it can be, except your
            situation is compounded by decades of dealing with
            this. sorry too pat that it took so long for you to
            just have to pay things on your own. it's good to
            hear from you! nancy, happy belated birthday and
            congrats on your breakthrough with OWCP.

            i've recently had a breakthrough too, getting my
            medical bills reimbursed for most of 2003. i used to
            get approval of my medical appts through my OWCP case
            worker. in sept 2003 when i called OWCP to check up
            on the status of approval for more care (since they
            never call you) i was told i must go through ACS. ACS
            told me i needed prior authorization. so i went that
            route, getting retro active authorization. (i never
            stop going to my care providers waiting for OWCP or
            ACS to get things sorted out. i can't wait that
            long.) after having to send a 20 page fax multiple
            times, and many phone calls, i finally got
            authorization. it's probably taken me around a year
            to get this paid even though it was authorized. they
            came up with every excuse possible, and when it seemed
            they ran out of those, they tried the 'denied for
            untimely filing' one. if they didn't do something
            about that, i was going to get my congressperson
            involved. luckily i didn't have to do that this time,
            but i have before. all i did was keep calling them
            back, call them on the obvious (this page should have
            been on top, not second from the top), and do what
            they suggested (you need to file for change of
            provider for your authorization).

            kevin, although i agree that OWCP and ACS are like
            scapegoats for each other, i have found that although
            there are many problems with ACS, i have had better
            luck with them than with a number of my OWCP case
            workers. the second to last one never called me back
            and she was almost never in when i called. you can't
            deal with someone when you can never talk with them.
            it was exasperating and demoralizing. although you
            never talk to the same person twice at ACS, and they
            don't usually do what they say they will, and so on, I
            would be a little reluctant to get rid of them all
            together. perhaps something could be worked out where
            the lines of responsibility were clearly defined
            between the two (OWCP and ACS), among other things.
            anyway, we could get together some time and talk about
            this more if you like. but i'd best get back to work.

            hang in there!

            heidi

            "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

            Yahoo! Mail
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2005
              Heidi,

              Thanks for your note.

              It's interesting that your dealings with ACS have been very
              different than mine. From my perspective, it seems that ACS does
              nothing except enter data, push paper, etc. for OWCP. ACS acts only
              when OWCP instructs it to do so. ACS has a "Prior Authorizations
              Department" but I don't believe it does any authorizing at all. It
              assigns an authorization number, enters CPT codes, determines dates
              of services, and then waits for OWCP to give the go ahead. Despite
              the fact that I have an authorization number and the dates of
              service have been determined to be 11/3/04 to 11/3/05, I cannot
              proceed with treatment because OWCP has not authorized the
              authorization. OWCP says ACS is in charge of authorizations, and
              ACS says " ... authorization cannot be approved at this time
              [because]OWCP has determined that further medical development is
              needed ..." Catch 22!

              Congresspersons and Senators won't deal with ACS because it is a
              contractor and not a federal agency. As long as ACS only has to
              answer to OWCP, it has no incentive to be responsive to claimants.
              I suspect ACS is a willing scapegoat because OWCP is writing the
              checks. I think ACS has to go because it has become a de facto
              federal bureaucracy that operates without proper oversight.

              Kevin

              P.S. Nancy: Do you know when the contract between OWCP and ACS
              expires?